Post Reply FAQ Members Login

State Eval. vs. Hospital Eval.

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

State Eval. vs. Hospital Eval.

Postby darateacher » Fri May 29, 2009 01:17 pm

Yesterday, Adam and Noah had their hospital developmental eval.

I was very disappointed, and really, I shouldn't be. But, the psychologist said that they're both exactly where they should be for their ADJUSTED age of 2.2 months. EXCUSE ME???! Adam can "talk" up a blue streak, and Noah can roll over from front to back all by himself!

I asked where they got those numbers and the psych said something about head control being an issue. Ok...fine. But, does that REALLY bring down their developmental levels that much?!

They're also both smiling a lot now. Oh, and what really irks me is that Noah was noted by the State evaluator as being VERY strong and the hospital psychologist said that she didn't agree. That Noah's not that physically strong. Give me a break!

I need a hug! Please tell me my kiddos will catch up in a year, like the State psych said!

Dara
darateacher

Re : State Eval. vs. Hospital Eval.

Postby jenn » Fri May 29, 2009 01:45 pm

Dara! Sweety! ((BIG HUGS!!))
Your observations are dead on. There are sooo many inconsistencies in these things.
For many reasons:
They have different training, using different scales of measure, and the boys could have had some "off" and/or "overwhelming" moments during the eval.
I can't tell you how many countless nights I spend crying over someone's remarks.
I think mommy instinct's are far more in tune with major concerns.
I personally guarantee that your boys will be taking this world by storm @ one year!!
Sending my best hugs and much love to you!!!
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby mikeys mom » Fri May 29, 2009 03:22 pm

Dara take what ever assistance these professionals are willing to provide but only if it is for the good of your family! However.... I know my developmental child psychologist told me it could take a while for my preemie to catch up up to age 5! However, he is 6 and you can't tell AT ALL by looking at him how he started off in life....
mikeys mom

Postby season » Fri May 29, 2009 05:52 pm

Dara,

It is hard to have an "expert" give you news like that. Infant development is such a quirky thing anyways as there is a range for each child and within each area of development. I would not look at a one year mark for "catch-up" each kid is so different. Continue to do what you can to give them the space they need to grow and over time they will get there. Moms do know best about how their kids are really doing.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby mlcoltrain » Fri May 29, 2009 06:21 pm

I only had state evaluation for my DD so not sure about hospital. But I do know the state evaluation had like 4 different parts to it. They charted different area's like fine motor skills, gross motor skills etc. Each section was taken individually and I do beleive you had to only be below "average" in 2 areas to qualify for the state therapy. We orginially qualified beacuse my DD was born so early and our evaluater said that was mainly the only reason she kept qualifing everytime they tested her. Because when they tested her she was only behind in one area, normally not enough to qualify for state assistance. I would ask to see the test results and how they chart the results. You also know your children best, it could have been an "off" day. I know my DD never liked performing on command, and the evaluater would ask us can she normally do this, and we'd say yes or no, and she'd go with our response more then what my DD did at that time. We were told it could take our DD until she was 2 or 3 to "catch up." My DD is going to be 5 in July and unless told you would never believe she was born so early, she is actually a little advanced in certain areas!
mlcoltrain

Postby dohertyab » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:05 am

It's a tough road that's for sure. We had evaluations and the reports often made me cry too. The variation that is observed is often a result of the person testing. We had someone come in weekly for about 1 year to help us and just watch the twins and then at 18 months had a new eval by a hospital person - they said that they were below average by adjusted age. I showed the report the the regular person and he just laughed. During the 18 month eval Rowan decided she didn't like the person testing and would not participate at all. The report said that I thought she was reluctant to participate. The woman couldn't even get Rowan to stand so she could take a height measurement! The regular person again just laughed and said that's why he won't do 1 time evals. You really don't get a sense of what the child can or can't do. I did use the reports to get additional services provided for, which was nice.

We also found they were really far ahead in some areas and really behind in others - a NICU stay will do that. Keep your eye on them and trust your instincts. Ask people around you who see them regularly and have a better understanding of their usual behaviour. The first 2 years are very stressful since there can be lots of delays but there doesn't have to be delays. The twins have been identified for additional testing this year at school to enter the gifted stream. Go figure - my 2 lbs preemies who may have learning disorders are excelling in grade 2 now.

Good luck!
dohertyab

Postby jamie w » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:48 pm

We are having some of the same issues. Our independent OT says Anna needs a lot of therapy and is behind. Then the state comes in and says she is on target except for her speech/communication. I do not know who to believe. On the one hand I am happy the state thinks she is doing well but on the other hand if she is not doing as good as they say she is then I don't want to deny her the therapy she needs. I remember how hard it was to read her evals when I got them. As far as catching up- my baby was not a preemie but could not sit at 8 months and then was walking at 12 months. Thet do posess an amazing ability to catch up. I have decided that the truth of her evaluation probably lies somewhere in the middle of the two. HUGS to you, sounds like you are doing a great job and the boys are moving along nicely!
jamie w

Return to Parents of Preemies