Possible preeclampsia

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Possible preeclampsia

Postby tomv » Fri Oct 29, 2004 04:45 pm

Hello everyone.
In the past few days we have learned that my girlfriend, Destiny, may have preeclampsia.
She just completed the tests, and we haven't gotten the results back, so it's still unsure. But, from her symptoms, the Doctor thinks it's a pretty safe bet that she does.
She has a high blood pressure, and is very swollen. She also has been getting a lot of pains in her abdomen the past couple of weeks, some pretty bad.
She is overweight, so blood pressure has always been a concern anyway. Now it's worse.

Our due date is between November 15th and December 1st. The baby is already just about 7 pounds. So at least there's not too much longer.

I am very nervous. This is our first child, although our 3rd pregnancy. (the first two didn't last long) We have already had complications due to her being O- bloodtype and me being AB+.

I do not want anything to happen. My biggest fear during the whole pregnancy has been losing them both.

I really have no idea what I should do.

Is there anything I can do to help her? Or anything I can to to make her feel better?
How do you handle it? I mean, it's not easy. There's enough to worry about already.

Thanks for any and all responses. I will post up the test results when we get them.
tomv

Re : Possible preeclampsia

Postby julie f » Fri Oct 29, 2004 05:52 pm

I'm so sorry that you and your girlfriend are having to deal with this but, I am glad to hear that her doctors are watching her closely.

Preeclampsia is scary and in my opinion, the best thing you can do right now is to learn about the disease, ask lots of questions to her doctors and support your girlfriend as best you can while you go through this together. To help your girlfriend, be there for her. My husband was my rock throughout our experience and I am forever grateful to him. Be on the lookout for an increase in symptoms or, in the severity of the ones she already has. If something does not seem right, trust your gut and head to L&D or the ER. Here is a link to our Signs & Symptoms page for reference: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp Also, if your girlfriend is in a position to be able to use the computer right now, direct her this way, she will find much support and encouragement from the women here.

What type of tests did they run? I'm guessing bloodwork and a 24 hour urine? The bloodwork will give the doctor valuable information about platelet levels, clotting times and liver enzymes. (Upper right quadrant pain can be from a swollen liver, elevated liver enzymes would indicate that.) The 24 hour urine test will help her doctor to evaluate her kidney function. A diagnosis of preeclampsia requires two separate blood pressure readings of 140/90, taken 5-6 hours apart and 300mg of protein in a 24 hour sample.

Please let us know as soon as you get your results!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby sam » Fri Oct 29, 2004 06:20 pm

ditto to everything julie said!!!

You sound like you are supporting your girlfriend and your child in the best way possible by just being there for them, and gaining as much info you can. Keep us updated on those results and how you are all doing.

I am sorry you are all going through this, wishing you comfort and strength. I wish you all the very best.

sam
London,UK
severe PE/class 1 HELLP @ 27wks
13th oct 2003
mummy to angel jake
http://www.shattered-dreams.uk.com/jakehayman.htm
sam

Postby heather h » Sun Oct 31, 2004 05:20 pm

I am also O- and my husband is O+... As long as she is up to date on the Rhogam injections she should be ok. As Julie said, Just be there for her and if anything seems "not right" , go with your feeling and get her to L&D. I felt so much more comfortable knowing that my husband was there, paying attention and was on top of things in case I missed something.. it really is a great relief when your not going through it alone and you have that support.

Good luck and best wishes for you, your wife and baby!
Keep us updated!

Heather (25)

28weeks - Shane Andrew 4/25/04
"Our little angel who will always be loved and never be forgotten"
TTC #2 Lovenox Injections 80 mg 2x a day
heather h

Postby craigh » Tue Nov 02, 2004 03:36 pm

Hey Tom.. I'm HeatherH's hubby.. She told me about your situation, I just wanted to offer myself to you if you ever need to just talk, vent, cry.. whatever.. as another guy, a friend and a person who knows what you are going threw. Feel free to email me at any time, I will try to reply as quickly as im able.. I am also on AOL instant messenger from 8am-4pm M-F at work, my ID is hanchettcraig.. Feel free at anytime.. Keep your chin up, remember, anytime..

-------------------
Mom and I love and miss you very much.. Shane Andrew, April 25, 2004
craigh

Return to Dads