Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Clothes for tall and skinny kid?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Clothes for tall and skinny kid?

Postby trish » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:00 am

Christine - funny you should post this!! Earlier this week my 6 year old put some jeans on & when she snapped them she said they felt too tight!! I didn't even know that was possible on my kids!! I went to loosen the adjustable waist & realized these were a really slim cut pair without an adjustable waist - so now what??

Maybe she'd just eaten, maybe she grew or maybe they shrunk a little in the dryer. I don't know but it sure was strange to have something be too tight on her after all my efforts to find clothes that would stay *on* her without looking ridiculously gathered. LOL!!
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby mommiesangel » Sun Dec 27, 2009 07:42 pm

My daughter isn't tall but she is skinny and the only jeans that have worked for us is Old Navy 2T jeans w/the adjustable waist plus a tucked in shirt. Some days her jeans just fall down even if the are on the tightest belt.

Have you tried Kola Kids from Babies R Us?
mommiesangel

Postby missgamecock » Sun Dec 27, 2009 08:00 pm

Old Navy carries adjustable waist jeans that are affordable and adorable. I catch them on sale for Sara who at 4 1/2 weighs 32 lbs. They are a REALLY good fit on her. I think I got them clearance for $7 each.
missgamecock

Postby jenmatt1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 am

I had a preemie due to hellp but that doesn't seem to stop her from growing like a weed. Problem is she is over 99% on height and only 50% for weight on the growth charts and has an extremely long torso. She is only 21 months but wearing 3T shirts and 2T pants. Gap has been best place to find clothes for her- I never buy unless on sale, I shop the babygap outlets, gap online and the clearance racks. Their clothes seem to be smaller in the waist but longer in the length. In fact, while she was small enough to wear bodysuits the only ones that would actually fit her in waist and height were from gap. Occasionally I find Old Navy clothes work as well, but they do not seem to regularly follow the gap measurements. Also Osh Kosh (which they sell at target) have adjustable waist pants- that seems to help.
jenmatt1

Postby lauchlan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:31 am

We swear by Children's Place for our skinny girl. The pants seem to be cut slimmer than most other brands so like Trish said, they don't have to be gathered as much when you adjust the waist. Plus, a lot of the styles come with 1/2 to 1 inch hem, so they can be let out if needed. However, I think their shirts run short (or shrink in length), so we always go a size bigger in the top.

Oh... and yes, Grace has outgrown a pair of pants in a single day! So much for the myth that they only grow at night :)
lauchlan

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies