Increased sensitivity to angiotensin II is present

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Increased sensitivity to angiotensin II is present

Postby caryn » Fri May 14, 2010 11:36 am

Thus, women with a history of hypertensive pregnancy demonstrated salt sensitivity of blood pressure and had increased pressor, adrenal, and soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 responses to infused angiotensin II in low-sodium balance. Increased sensitivity to angiotensin II observed during pregnancy in women with hypertensive pregnancy is present postpartum; this feature may contribute to future cardiovascular risk in these women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20308605

So consider yourselves salt-sensitive until proven otherwise. :(

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Increased sensitivity to angiotensin II is present

Postby jean » Fri May 14, 2010 12:36 am

So in other words, in subsequent pregnancies we should try to stay away from salt? (or reduce our intake?)

Is this just during pregnancy or overall?
jean

Postby kara » Mon May 17, 2010 09:18 pm

Well, I guess it's not such a bad thing that I had to start taking an ACE inhibitor this week for my kidney's. It may be helpful for my heart, too!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby miamibunnie » Tue May 18, 2010 03:06 pm

Karyn I started the low sodium diet but nowadays everything has sodium.
miamibunnie

Postby caryn » Tue May 25, 2010 11:07 pm

It's not just during pregnancy, and actually there's no evidence that reducing salt intake helps prevent preeclampsia in a broad population of women.

But apparently as a group we're more likely to be salt-sensitive postpartum and into the future, which might be why we have a higher risk of poor cardiac outcome. Salt-sensitive chronic hypertensives are often asked to continue their diets with less than 2400 mg of daily sodium during pregnancy, since it's a part of their regular management of their underlying chronic hypertension. And they're worried about salt generally anyway: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/health/nutrition/21salt.html

I say "until proven otherwise" because what you'd have to do here is talk to your doc about cutting back on the salt in your diet -- which, yes, is very difficult because it's in everything and I am *tired* of boiling down chickens for stock! -- and then monitor your blood pressure and see if you were responsive to lower intake.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby miamibunnie » Fri May 28, 2010 08:44 pm

Thx for replying back Karyn...its been so hard for ma these past few weeks. I lost my baby at 6 months. What really upsets me is that I will never ever know if she would of ever made it. I delivered my baby vaginally and there were NO drs or nurses in my room. The Dr would just walk in to place med to dilate my cervix. The nurse was there and then walked out. They never preped the room with an incubater for the baby. the first thing they told me the baby would not be alive once pushed out.
This was not true she was alive and my Parents ran out to get the Drs and nurse to let them know I had given birth and baby was alive, they took her and told us they were waiting for her to stop breathing...what type of hospital is this...after deliveing my child they placed me in a recovery room with other women who had delivered there baby and there baby were in there rooms where I am seeing all this. Tell me how can I stop hurting when I feel I failed as a mother,,,I have a 13 yr old who was born at 25 weeks...due to eclampsia and she is alive.

My 13 was born in a very good hospital they have excellent care for premies and equipped well. However the other hospital never did anything no meds to bring down meds...Im so hurt this time I had PE.

Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by Caryn

It's not just during pregnancy, and actually there's no evidence that reducing salt intake helps prevent preeclampsia in a broad population of women.

But apparently as a group we're more likely to be salt-sensitive postpartum and into the future, which might be why we have a higher risk of poor cardiac outcome. Salt-sensitive chronic hypertensives are often asked to continue their diets with less than 2400 mg of daily sodium during pregnancy, since it's a part of their regular management of their underlying chronic hypertension. And they're worried about salt generally anyway: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/health/nutrition/21salt.html

I say "until proven otherwise" because what you'd have to do here is talk to your doc about cutting back on the salt in your diet -- which, yes, is very difficult because it's in everything and I am *tired* of boiling down chickens for stock! -- and then monitor your blood pressure and see if you were responsive to lower intake.

miamibunnie

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News