May be a dumb ?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cara

Re : May be a dumb ?

Postby cara » Fri May 22, 2009 02:03 pm

They only wrote down the 135/88 number on Wed and I'm not sure if they recorded the 140/100 average of the ones they took today before they made me lie down for about 10 minutes then retook it to get 125/88.

I have not done any 24 hour urines yet this pregnancy. The trace was from the dip they do routinely at the office.

jokell2

Postby jokell2 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:21 am

Quote from your first post.....

" I was sent home after lying on my left for a bit and the nurse retook it twice, changed arms, then retook it again and reported it to the Dr and marked it down as 135/88."

Was it higher than 135/88 and they only wrote down the 135/88? I've had my BP checked before and it was high so they rechecked immediately after and wrote down the lower number which in my opinion isn't right. JMO

You mentioned you only have trace protein but have they done a 24 hour yet?

cara

Postby cara » Fri May 22, 2009 11:25 am

When I got up this morning after a Tylneonl PM induced sleep, it was 140/100...rose more when I got to work so I called in and went in to see the OB. The nurses got 140/104 in both arms so they made me lie down a bit then retook it to get 125/88. The Dr was satisfired with that as I only had trace protein. He told me to "take it easy" til my next appt which is Wed.

I do still have the headache and Tylenol does not help. I even downed them with some caffeine to see if that would help a bit.

He did say that if my weight shot up over the weekend to call in. So I guess it's just a watch and wait thing now.

Thanks for your help ladies! Much appreciated!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri May 22, 2009 06:09 am

Superimposed pe here with Cate and my symptoms were the same minus all of the bad bloodwork. According to my drs, it was only a matter of time. I was delivered for "the" headache, brisk reflexxes, and bps.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Cara, I'm worried about the headache. We know that in preeclampsia cerebral swelling doesn't necessarily track either high bp, or swelling elsewhere. Which means you can start seizing even if that's your only symptom. Does Tylenol do anything for it?

Plus, it's not your only symptom.

Superimposed PE can move incredibly fast -- that's what I had, and I went from 130/80 and trace protein on a dip to 220/116 and +4 on a dip in a week -- so I'd definitely call and ask for closer followup/ monitoring.

cara

Postby cara » Thu May 21, 2009 10:37 pm

Thanks ladies...If my pressure is still high tomorrow, I'm going to request some monitoring.

Pregnancy is managed sort of different around here. We have 1 main hospital that is strictly for women and it has 4 Peris that are used interchangeably and you HAVE to have a referral from an OB to go. You can't just call em up for advice or an appt...they direct you back to the OB. And you can't go for assessment until you've spoken to the OB as well. They get all ticked if you go in without letting them know. (it's different if its after hours...they do require that you call ahead though unless its a dire emergency)

I do still have the massive headache but minimal swelling and no more vision issues at all. What are the effects of the high bp by itself? Anything that I should be really worried about? (you'd think I'd know all this by the 3rd go-round)

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu May 21, 2009 12:30 am

Hi Cara, good to see you.

As far as I know, there is nothing esssentially different between PE and superimposed PE, just that with the latter, it can be easier to miss because the woman is already on BP meds, that are masking her symptoms.

PE/PIH can come on fast or slow, mild or severe - if you feel that something isn't right, it's always best to go back in and be reevaluated.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Thu May 21, 2009 12:12 am

I don't have an answer to your question - but the headache and swelling are a concern. Did you check your bp when you noticed the symptoms? Can you call the peri or go in to L&D to get checked? (vs the OB's office where you sound concerned about the care you're receiving.)

cara

May be a dumb ?

Postby cara » Thu May 21, 2009 11:46 am

Are the symptoms of superimposed PIH or PE the same as regular ol PE?

I'm labelled chronic since I've had BP issues in all 3 pregnancies, prior to the 3rd trimester and only had a tiny amount of protein in the 1st.

This pg, I was smooth sailing until recently. Let me back up a second. I lost about 65 lbs before getting pregnant and changed my eating habits significantly. I still exercise with the ok of the Peri because he says since I'm chronic, that it's only helping and probably held my BP rise at bay for as long as it has.

The past few visits, I've been rising and without going into another diatribe, my OB finally got the readings that I've been getting both at home and at the Peri. (they have this great magic BP cuff that reads 120/80 every time, no matter what) Apparently, this time, it was too high for them to just blow it off (they wouldn't tell me what it actually was but I took it before I went and I got 145/110). I was sent home after lying on my left for a bit and the nurse retook it twice, changed arms, then retook it again and reported it to the Dr and marked it down as 135/88.

Basically, I have a headache, had a little focus issue this morning (but none since) and woke up swollen (but its going down). I'm not a sweller. Even pg, I don't retain water. I even have people comment on my lack of swelling. I'm not on any BP meds at all since I started out with nice low BP from the diet and exercise. I am 34 weeks, 4 days today.

So the original ? was are the symptoms for superimposed PIH the same as symptoms for regular folks? Would they be typically be slower to onset than the typical preeclamptic?

TIA!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”