homeopathic remedies for PE?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

homeopathic remedies for PE?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Mar 01, 2007 05:22 pm

I found two websites selling a "100% guaranteed treatment" for preeclampsia, and I'm wondering if any of the Experts are familiar with these products. Can you comment on them?

Editor's note: names of the products have been removed, so we don't end up accidentally advertising for them!
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : homeopathic remedies for PE?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Mar 01, 2007 05:24 pm

I have scrutinized the website provided and believe the company makes claims that have not been substantiated and are thus falsely advertising a $55 product as a treatment, the efficacy of which has not been established. First, there are to my knowledge no treatments that cure preeclampsia, especially with 100% efficacy (In fact they very maliciously say they guarantee “100% treatment” well aware the sentence will be misinterpreted as success.)

Currently, we only have blood pressure medications, the first trials of products that might reverse the pathology of the disease (digoxin antibodies, relaxin, and angiogenic proteins, being in animal or phase 1 human trials, and long way from be established as acceptable treatment. I have never heard of properly conducted trials using XXXXX, and advertisement contains two corny single subject testemonials reminiscent of the itinerant salesmen of the 1800s who sold cure all snake oil.

It is also appears that the advertisers have little idea of the natural history of the disorder they wish to treat. Preeclampsia comes from the Greek word eclampsus, meaning “lightening", as it can appear and or aggravate suddenly, and assuredly it would be foolish to buy and keep on hand an unproven drug, “just in case”.

Homeopathy is a science in which extremely low concentrations of drugs known to actually cause some of the symptoms of the disease treated. The concentration of these ingredients are so low they are not recognized by body receptors, thus most believe the effects of homeopathic remedies are primarily placebo in nature. This is fortunate for XXXXX as one of its products is Bella Donna, an alkaloid similar to atropine found in several extremely poisonous plants, whose ingestion can even be fatal.

In summary: this appears to be misleading advertising for a unproven product that includes a dangerous alkaloid, albeit in concentrations too low to have problematic effects.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts