Fribromyalgia after PE?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kellyo19

Re : Fribromyalgia after PE?

Postby kellyo19 » Mon Jul 07, 638628 2:13 pm

I'm not a doc, but if you do get Dx with fibromyalgia, ask if Cymbalta can help you with the pain. Cymbalta is an antidepressant but during clinical trials they found out that depressed people with diabetic nerve pain in their legs/feet had improvement in their pain. I was on cymbalta 2 yrs ago for nerve damage, it controlled my pain while the nerve healed, and it controlled the pain way better than prescriptive vicodin and other narcotic pain relief. I had a neurologist prescribe it for me, I don't know if a rheumatologist is familiar with it or not. Hope this helps, if you need it. With Cymbalta you're allowed to drive - something you can do with most other strong pain relief Rx.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 07, 638628 11:59 am

I can't turn up anything particular in PubMed. I wouldn't be too surprised to find a straight-up numerical correlation simply because fibro is more common in women, but I'm also wondering about an autoimmune connection like Kara and Alviarin.

Perhaps one day they will be able to say more than just "heterogeneous", lol!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Jun 25, 638628 5:59 am

If the disorder known as fibromyalgia was understood then we could attempt to correlate. Because fibromyalgia is a name given to a wide range of ailments, with no definitive diagnostics we are left to wonder.

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Wed Jun 25, 638628 3:40 am

I had PE and no fibromyalgia for myself, but my sister and my mother both may have fibromyalgia (conflicting Dr opinions), and we're thinking that my mother had mild PE (my dad remembers "toxemia" mentioned, mom has no recollection). I too would be interested to learn if there could be a connection.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Mar 26, 638626 12:10 pm

I don't have any experience with fibromyalgia, but I have had bad leg aches and insomnia in the past due to hypothyroidism. I know sometimes the symptoms of fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism overlap, and sometimes people can have both.

I also found out postpartum my vitamin D levels were low. After getting my vitamin D levels up with a prescription, I felt less achey.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Mar 24, 638626 11:20 pm

Amanda,
I have been dx and undx with fibromyalgia, since the age of about 4. My doctors consider whatever my pain and sleep difficulty issues are, stems from an autoimmune reaction of some sort. So, with a family history, pregnancy alone could be a trigger, as could an illness, like PE.

A rheumatologist will be the one to dx you.

I've become nearly used to the pain, and actually stopped taking pain meds some years ago. Tolerance, I guess. As I've gotten older the sleep disturbances have manifested as the more overwhelming symptom.

I've never found a med or med combination to be useful except during a bad flair. A rheumie can give you some ideas for helping symptoms. Typically a very regular schedule for sleep and low impact excercise. Otherwise I've learned that there isn't much they can do.

hhbeachgurl

Fribromyalgia after PE?

Postby hhbeachgurl » Fri Mar 24, 638626 8:00 pm

So in 2007 I had severe PE. I have had lots of long term after effects that for the most part have cleared up except for some mild cognitive issues that remain to this day. (I attribute this to the severe cerebral edema and possible small stroke, but who knows)

Anyway, while I have not yet been diagnosed, it seems probable that I have developed Fibromyalgia. I have been hurting all over for months, in various places, to various degrees....somedays it is really bad. I have all the symptoms and it runs strongly in my family. Plus I believe I may have always had this since I was a child. I remember deep deep aches in my legs and other parts of my body off and on throughout childhood that docs could not figure out and medicine did not help and my mom just would tell me she hurt like that too and so had my grandfather. That it had been debilitating to him and he hated it because he felt no one really believed how bad he hurt. I am going to go talk to my doc soon and get his opinion.

I was just wondering if there is any connection to PE and Fibro? I figured if anyone knew it would be you girls. Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”