Weight Gain and PE

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
brandib

Re : Weight Gain and PE

Postby brandib » Fri Feb 01, 638943 8:25 pm

I was under 120lbs when I got pregnant ( a gymnast) and didn't hardly gain 10 lbs ( I puked like crazy right from the moment I got pregnant until I was pushing her out!) and then started swelling, bp started rising and ended up topping 200lbs with SEVERE swelling and Pe and Hellp!!!

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Sat Dec 29, 638942 8:22 pm

I haven't read the studies - I'll do that tomorrow. I will say that my first pregnancy, I gained 55lbs. I ate like crap and gained accordingly. My pre-e was mild and didn't really kick in gear till around 34w. I don't think I got an official diagnosis until my delivery date.

I started this pregnancy 6lbs lighter and have so far gained 20 lbs at 30w. I can't seem to put the weight on - I'm eating just as bad this time. But, my pre-e is starting earlier and my BPs are already worse at 30w. So much less weight gain this time, but my pre-e is worse.

I don't know why this would be. I am actually testing negative for APS, which I tested positive for last time. Also testing negative for anything autoimmune since the beginning of my pregnancy. So I don't really understand why its worse.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Dec 04, 638942 11:55 pm

Nah -- you're just one of the ones who didn't have that risk factor and got it anyway.

klutsyone01

Postby klutsyone01 » Tue Dec 04, 638942 6:18 pm

bs! i barely gained 20 with my son and got it and am definatly getting this time and have only gained 15. so i think that theorie is bs.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Nov 25, 638942 6:12 am

Rate of weight gain and BMI are just factors that add risk. You can do everything perfectly and still get PE -- an awful lot of us have!

Here's a link to the new study showing that weight loss between pregnancies lowers your risk of PE in subsequent pregnancies.

Here's a link to the study showing a direct correlation between BMI and PE, and rate of gain and PE. ("Direct correlation" means that as BMI goes up, and as rate of gain goes up, risk goes up. "Inverse correlation" would mean that as BMI went up, risk goes down. Which would be cool, but does not happen.) These were additive, so the worst case scenario was rapid weight gain plus high BMI, and the best case was small weight gain plus low BMI. But even in the best case, there was still risk of PE.

Here's the smallish study showing that lifestyle modification did lower rate of gain in pregnancy. In the thread I have opinions about the meaningfulness of this. :)

In subsequent pregnancies the placenta generally embeds better, which leaves it better situated to mess with your metabolism. So rate of gain will change from prior pregnancies.
Last edited by caryn on Thu Aug 29, 638948 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: repair urls

lakensmommy

Postby lakensmommy » Sun Nov 25, 638942 3:02 am

i lost weight last time and still got Pre-e

mrss

Postby mrss » Sat Nov 24, 638942 1:05 pm

I started at a healthy weight last time, gained a healthy amount of weight and still got pre-e. This time I started a couple pounds lighter and exercised much harder during my pregnancy (up until now). I didn't deviate all that much from what I ate last time, yet I've gained considerably more. At this point I don't even think I look like myself, although I don't "look" swollen. My pressures are up again, slightly later than last time. I don't know if there's a rhyme or reason for it, but no one has mentioned weight gain as a possible culprit.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Nov 23, 638942 4:15 am

There is a known link between BMI and PE and also between rate of gain and PE. They add to each other, and the riskiest scenario is the one where you're at a high BMI, and then you gain weight rapidly.

However, the 'rate of gain' part of this is more of a marker and less of a thing that you can change that will affect your odds of getting PE. It's probably showing up in the data because PE women often swell like crazy, so we gain weight quite rapidly right as we're getting sick. But when they've told pregnant women to change their lifestyles to affect their pregnancy rate of gain, it hasn't lowered PE rates. (Small study, though. I'll link to it later when not on my phone.)

Lowering BMI between pregnancies does lower risk according to that latest study, but I wouldn't worry a heck of a lot about trying to affect rate of gain. Honestly the placenta is pretty much in charge of what you eat, what stays down, etc.

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri Nov 23, 638942 1:35 am

Hi Laura,

Like you, I've put on a lot more weight this time. Last time I was pretty skinny; no one has told me to worry about it though because apart from the bump I still look fairly ok.

It can still be true that gaining weight increases the risk of PE (on average in the population) even if that (hopefully) does not apply to you or I. All this risk information comes from large studies of populations; they don't predict what will happen all that well to any one women. Last time, we were both exceptional in having early onset PE (and therefore not very "average"). Hope that makes some sense.

sezza

Postby sezza » Thu Nov 22, 638942 4:15 pm

they don't really know what causes it so not sure why say that weight gain would.
there is no rhyme nor reason to this disease. if you are looking after yourself and eating a good diet then that should be the goal, not some random figure.
i would only be worried if it was swelling weight.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”