HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
User avatar
caryn
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10178
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:36 am

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby caryn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 08:24 pm

Donald, keep us posted. A lot of us are reading these updates, even if we have nothing useful to contribute.

Good luck to you all.

blythe
Registered User
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:24 am

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby blythe » Sun Oct 05, 2008 07:21 pm

Thanks so much for the update! Those diastolics just give me chills.

How is Kristi doing on the mag sulfate? A lot of us have felt horrible on it, so let her know that's normal (if her nurses haven't already). On the other hand, a few of our members have actually felt *better* on it, so I hope she's one of those lucky ones!

Delivery of the baby / the placenta is the *start* of the healing for Kristi, and I hope she has a quick recovery. Kristi will probably be on mag sulfate 12-24 hours after birth. She will still be at risk for up to 6 weeks post-partum, so keep those "signs and symptoms" handy.

I can only imagine how you have felt the past few days. Great job advocating for your wife and new baby boy. I hope you get a very happy ending with a healthy mama and baby very soon!

sarab
Site Admin
Posts: 2950
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 04:50 pm
Location: Utah

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby sarab » Sun Oct 05, 2008 04:50 pm

Good wishes for a smooth induction and delivery to you and Kristi, Donald. I hope you are posting soon with news of your new son!

rebeccac
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 09:20 am

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby rebeccac » Sun Oct 05, 2008 04:42 pm

It's about time!!! Hope the induction goes well!

dkm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:26 pm

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby dkm » Sun Oct 05, 2008 04:32 pm

Well, plans have changed. Kristi had readings of 146/104, 148/112 and 156/118 today. Honestly, those scared me to death, so I asked the Dr's when we were going to take Mom's health into consideration and the nurse, PCT also spoke up on our side while they were there as well. So they have decided to move ahead with induction. They began the induction about 1 hour ago.

We are not through the woods yet, but I am glad that the baby AND Kristi's health are now being considered.

We should have a baby boy soon.

Donald

dkm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:26 pm

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby dkm » Sun Oct 05, 2008 08:49 am

Pressures yesterday were on average 144/97 with only one diastolic of 100. Looks like we will have an amnio tomorrow morning, if everything comes back ready to go, they will deliver on Tuesday.

We asked about a labor plan, they will attempt vaginal delivery with Mom on Magnesium for the duration. If the baby or Mom show signs of distress, they will move to C-Section.

I'll keep you posted.

Donald

rachelc
Registered User
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 01:40 pm

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby rachelc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:43 am

I'm glad to hear that your wife is being monitored in the hospital. I know that it is a difficult time for the two of you. Unfortunately, pe/pih do not usually allow you to stick to a plan. They are so unpredictable. Of my three c-sections, only one was planned. The others were emergencies. Good luck and keep us posted.

dkm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:26 pm

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby dkm » Sat Oct 04, 2008 09:12 am

Thanks!

We are trying to trust them as well, it's just the constant changes that are frustrating to us both. at 36/4, we need a plan that we can stick to. Maybe, I'm wrong.

I'll keep you posted

blythe
Registered User
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:24 am

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby blythe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 07:09 am

I'll stick my neck out and speculate that Kristi's doctors are probably watching her closely for more signs of superimposed PE or severe gestational hypertension (160/110) before they decide to induce. She may be one who really benefits from the bedrest she is getting in the hospital right now. I know you said your baby boy is estimated to be 6 pounds, but ultrasound measurements are notoriously inaccurate, and weight is not the best indicator of health in any case. I remember how difficult and scary hospital bedrest is, especially when the treatment plan changes from hour to hour and from doc to doc, but I'm inclined to trust your doctors at this point, especially because Kristi is in the hospital now and they can move quickly if anything happens.

I found this page on fetal heart rate - http://www.ccspublishing.com/journals2a/fetal_heart_monitoring.htm The FHR at term ranges from 120-160 bpm. ... Accelerations are common periodic changes in labor. They are usually associated with fetal movement. These changes are reassuring and almost always confirm that the fetus is not hyopoxic.

dkm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 09:26 pm

Re : HBP Advice/Opinions Needed

Postby dkm » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:10 pm

Okay, so pressures today have been 144/90, 153/92, 138/98 and we are being told that these are again not in the severe range and may change the plan again.

One piece that I wanted to get some thoughts on is fetal heart rate. They checked FHR this evening and he spiked, not for very long, 5-10 seconds, where the FHR went into the 180s and this happened twice. The nurse took the strip, but said that it went back into the 160s quickly enough not to be a concern. I thought that FHR was supposed to be declining at 36-37wks to 130-140bpm?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. You ladies have been great!

Donald


Return to “Dads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests