Post Reply FAQ Members Login

postpartum high bp, makes me concerned

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : postpartum high bp, makes me concerned

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:26 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:26 pm

FWIW, I was also reading at 200+/100+ in the hospital, and went home on labetalol. About 6 months later they were able to wean me off of it. Honestly, I think time was the major factor in my recovery. I was breastfeeding, so I dropped weight fairly quickly, to 20+ pounds below my starting weight, but still had high bp readings for several months.

Nowadays it's usually in the 100+/70+ range.

Caryn
DS Oscar born 10/20/02 at 34 weeks, rapid-onset severe PE
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : postpartum high bp, makes me concerned

Postby satoripooh » Tue Jul 20, 2004 05:18 am

by satoripooh (15 Posts), Tue Jul 20, 2004 05:18 am

thanks Anne and Caryn! all of this info is makin jenny and i feel much better about her situation. doesn't make us like it anymore, but easier to handle. based on what all the docs were tellin us we thought she should've been LONG over this by now, but that doesn't sound like the case from all of you who are experienced. the info here has been SO much more helpful than the doctors, but in their defense i guess they don't see this very often, thus not spending any time studying it. although i do know that her doc knew enough to not wait around for something bad to happen! given her situation and the fact that she hadn't seen any of the other docs in the practice yet, he even stayed on call just for her so that he could do her section. a very good man.

anyway, yeah, she had it real bad. in retrospect, she showed the rapid weight gain early (starting around 20wks), but the bp was almost an overnight thing. more like 2 weeks, but still, who knows how high it was for how long before she went in. we're all so lucky!

and so, the long road to recovery continues! she is playin some v-ball open gym twice a week, which has definately started showin. BTW, she is "brycesmom" on the forum. she's not on much cause we don't have the net at home.

josh & jenny
bryce 29wks 3.5.04
satoripooh

Previous

Return to Dads