Open Letter to Pregnancy at About.com

erica990

Re : Open Letter to Pregnancy at About.com

Postby erica990 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 06:56 pm

I sent an e-mail too. Unfortunately, the e-mails seem to go straight to the author of the website. I would like to e-mail about.com directly about it, but couldn't find a way.

Erica Andersen

Mom to Isaac, born 3/25/04 (35 weeks, Pre-E, HELLP, emergency c-section)

akemt

Postby akemt » Mon Nov 29, 2004 06:18 pm

Anyone else get a response?

Catherine (23), Moderator
DH Britton (28)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 wks PIH & Oligo
Lara Julianne (07/31/04) 38 wks Borderline PIH

denise

Postby denise » Tue Oct 05, 2004 07:50 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Catherine

That was a pretty special response Denise! Mnmm... I have nothing to worry about careerwise if claiming expertise and "writing" on a subject is all you need. I wonder if the About editors have ever heard the term "peer reviewed"?

I guess since we all talk about PE everyday and have firsthand knowledge of the condition, we could call ourselves experts too.[;)] Thanks Catherine, you made me smile.[:)]

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP

http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue Oct 05, 2004 07:43 pm

That was a pretty special response Denise! Mnmm... I have nothing to worry about careerwise if claiming expertise and "writing" on a subject is all you need. I wonder if the About editors have ever heard the term "peer reviewed"?

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

denise

Postby denise » Tue Oct 05, 2004 07:41 pm

Okay, I don't know what kind of response you ladies received from your letters to About.com, but this is what I received today......

quote:
Denise,

Thanks for writing me. As you know with many subjects in pregnancy, the experts disagree often. What one swears by the other finds to be
worthless. Each piece of information here is to be used as a starting
point to ask questions of their practitioner. I hope you also noticed
that this is just one page of information about this topic on my site. I have many other links to other sites with opposing viewpoints, including the link you listed.

This piece was written with the information provided by Dr. Tom Brewer and other experts who have written and published extensively about PIH, pre-e and ecclampsia.

Thanks again.

Robin

Um, Dr. Brewer was consulted as an expert????[xx(] Has anyone found any info provided by Dr. Easterling at this site??

-------
Co-coordinator for WI
Denise (28)
Jason (32)
Ariana (16 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP

http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:09 pm

Thanks for the kudos Jessica. I try to really stay on the fence because--hey--that diet might work for some woman--but the fact is--we don't know and to suggest we do is just wrong. There is no plot by the drug companies to keep our women "addicted" to epidurals and c-sections and away from a healthy lifestyle. We have no support from the drug companies.

I just get a little steamed but yes, I personally think the Brewer diet is dangerous and think so because I stupidly tried it with my third pregnancy--the one that nearly killed me. I know women though who swear by it. I know that juicing and a vegan diet bought my mom five full years with terminal cancer. I am the last person to suggest that diet and stress reduction aren't important--they are--o it, absolutely, but not at the expense of your common sense. If you are seeing spots--no amount of fish oil will fix that, if you have lost your baby, no one needs to hear "You should have eaten more meat." That is just cruel.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

tafkap

Postby tafkap » Mon Aug 30, 2004 04:37 pm

I mistakenly thought that the PF forum was not doing anything to prevent this misfacts about Tom Brewer and about P.E. I'm happily, wonderfully, and THRILLED to be so wrong.

THANK YOU, Anne, for taking the time to write. I will try to send a letter as well.

Jessica & Corey~ baby #1
Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info

jyn

Postby jyn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 06:25 am

It is so sad that there is a huge source of misinformation in this world. I with past PreE pregnancys did feel it was my fault. Not until I found your website did I truely understand what was happening to me. In fact during my 2nd pregnancy I used diet and exercise to try and control preE but it did not work!
Thank you for this wonderful site!!!!!!!

Jyn 30
DH Andy 33
Logan 8yrs preE 38 weeks
Aleck 4yrs preE 36 weeks
due 11/21/04 on partial bedrest since June full since August 19th

pdorsey

Postby pdorsey » Mon Aug 30, 2004 03:17 am

Did about.com respond to your letter?
Paul

tinalowe

Postby tinalowe » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:18 am

Oh my! I absolutely hate crap like this (almost as much as the diet Mada referred too). How is an article filled with so much mis-information supposed to help someone! In fact it hasna't helped me...I can feel my bp rising even as I type!!!!! Just the idea that someone would suggest that if I ate better I could have prevented this...there are no words to describe how I feel about that. (and the few that do come to mind are not for sensitive ears) I will definetely be emailing her as well!

Tina 23
DH Dereck 26

Emma Victoria stillborn 12-28-03 severe pre-e
ttc#2

Return to “News from PF Headquarters”