Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Looking for support

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : Looking for support

Postby akemt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 08:50 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Aug 17, 2005 08:50 pm

Congratulations NewDad! That username must have added meaning to you this week. And btw, my nephew that was born almost a month ago now was named Samuel as well. I do hope that the "Nicu rollercoaster" can have many more ups than downs for your son and that he will grow and progress quickly. I hope that your wife's condition will also improve rapidly and that the three of you can be home together soon. If you haven't already, please feel free to visit our "parent's of preemies" forum to post questions and vent feelings specific to your son's condition...there are also some threads with pointers and information there as well. We'll be anxious for any updates you are willing to send. Please send your wife my best -let her know that she's got us in her corner and that we are happy that she and Samuel seem to be doing well. Again, Congratulations!

Sending my prayers,
akemt

Postby julie f » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your little miracle-man! I pray that he has a very short and healthy stay in the NICU.

Please keep us posted on his progress.
julie f

Postby youtan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:55 am

by youtan (1592 Posts), Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:55 am

Oh congrats on the birth of your little boy!!! Glad to hear your wife is better and that the NICU is taking good care of your precious one. Congratulations!!!
youtan

Postby sarab » Thu Aug 18, 2005 07:37 pm

by sarab (2950 Posts), Thu Aug 18, 2005 07:37 pm

Hi, NewDad! Congratulations on the birth of little Samuel! Like others have said, the next few weeks and months are going to be a roller coaster. As much as I don't wish them on you, you will have plenty of bad days along with the good. Please know that there is a wonderful support system here if you or your wife ever need someone to talk to, vent to, cry with, etc.

It sounds like Samuel is one tought little guy. I hope he continues to do well and will be home with you soon! We know that your life is going to be pretty hectic in the coming weeks, but please try to update us if you get minute.

Congratulations!!
sarab
Site Admin

Postby annes » Fri Aug 19, 2005 08:24 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Fri Aug 19, 2005 08:24 am

Congratulations on your new addition! Like everyone has said the NICU has it's ups and downs, and you are entering another hard phase. Get to know the Doctors and esepcially the nurses, and be proactive, ask to change the diapers and take the temperature etc... as soon as they will allow you to. As the weeks progressed, it was very comforting for me to know that when he finally came home, I had a little clue about how to care for him. Take care of your dear wife, and keep us posted when you have the chance.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby cassie05 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:42 am

by cassie05 (2243 Posts), Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:42 am

Congrats on the new addition...let us knwo how things are going when you get a chance. my advice is to get in there and learn the NICU...do as much as you can, like change diapers , take temps. Have you held him yet? Have you done Kangaroo care?? That is where you hold the baby, only dressed in a diaper, directly on your skin...its a great feeling adn usually helps the baby to breath better. Is your wife pumping or giving formula? I would go and sit for hours and just stare at my son ( couldnt hold him that much) WE put picts of ourselves in the incubator. I used all my own baby blankets ( washed in dreft) instead of hospital ones. I bought tons of preemie clothes and it was great to see stephen all dressed up on the good days. Write his name on anything you bring in. Another thing is get a digital video camera, takes lots of video and picutes...you will cherish them always. My prayers are with you all and once again congrats
cassie05

Postby crdv1976 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 05:37 pm

by crdv1976 (13 Posts), Sat Aug 20, 2005 05:37 pm

Congrats on the baby boy... keep your head up and think positive thoughts and always remember that the Lord will provide and that positivity works wonders.. My daughter was in NICU for 2.5 weeks and it tore me apart. But she is spunky, in great health , and ahead of the game @ 9mos. She is a godsend and my sweetest gift. Relax and follow doctors orders.. Ask any questions you have, it's their job and don't feel bad 'cause you think it's petty... every case is different!!!!

crdv1976

Postby newdad » Tue Aug 23, 2005 02:18 pm

by newdad (7 Posts), Tue Aug 23, 2005 02:18 pm

Again, I can not thank everyone enough for their wonderful thoughts and prayers. They have been comforting to my wife and to me. My wife is inching her way along. Some days are better than others. She is mainly tired. She is pumping breast milk so the schedule is taking a lot out of her. Sam is continuing to improve. They have moved him from the ventilator to a CPAP machine and he is doing great. He was on bp medication and they have now removed him from that. Today he is supposed to start feeding. We have been taking pictures and video as much as possible. My wife was able to change his diaper a couple of days ago(it made her a little nervous becuase of his size). Sam is definitely our miracle from God and He has been good to us. I will update as soon as I can.
newdad

Postby cassie05 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 02:39 pm

by cassie05 (2243 Posts), Tue Aug 23, 2005 02:39 pm

So glad to hear you are all doing good. I remember being afraid the first time changing stephens daiper but a few day in of his NICU stay, I was flopping him around just like the nurses did
cassie05

Postby rachel a » Tue Aug 23, 2005 05:50 pm

by rachel a (2648 Posts), Tue Aug 23, 2005 05:50 pm

Thanks so much for the update! I've been worried about the three of you!

By the way, I was scared to bring my little man home! What was I going to do with this little guy?! Congrats on the diaper change, I know how great that is!!

I will continue praying for all of you!
rachel a

PreviousNext

Return to Dads