Post Reply FAQ Members Login

slow weight gainer

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

slow weight gainer

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 08:17 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Mon Jun 14, 2004 08:17 am

My little 4.12 pounder is gaining very slowly.
I was breastfeeding exclusively, but she was not emptying my breast completely on her own.(b/c she was so small)
Then my Ped. recc'd that I feed then pump and bottle feed breast milk. that went really well, fuller diapers, but still only maintaining her 4.6 pound weight(she lost 6 ounces at the beginning and is lingering).

Then, I went to breastfeeding 10 minutes at each side, then bottle feeding expressed milk, to help her become more efficient.
this is going great. it reduces feeding time, and gets things moving right along.
(sometimes if I am not one feed ahead of myself, she gets formula)
On Friday she gained 1/2 an ounce, and today, Mon., she gained only 1/4 ounce.

I feel like any progress is good, but I am getting a bit frustrated. She is 16 days old now.

My first preemie was much faster a gainer, but was on iv's and gavage fed, so it was different.

any input??

love, J

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Re : slow weight gainer

Postby browncow » Mon Jun 14, 2004 08:47 am

by browncow (211 Posts), Mon Jun 14, 2004 08:47 am

My daughter was a slow weight gainer too but the doctor said it was normal, some just gain quicker than others (as you've seen with your first child).

I couldn't breastfeed because of the medications I was on so Connor was had a high-caloric formula (NeoSure). She was 3.5 lbs. when she came home from the hospital at one month old and didn't break 4 lbs. for nearly another month. Even after she started on baby foods around 3 1/2 months, the steady weight gain started between 6 1/2-7 months.

Just keep doing what you're doing per the pediatrician's recommendations, her appetite will most likely increase with each passing week.

browncow

Postby pugmommy7 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 07:42 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Tue Jun 15, 2004 07:42 am

yeah we did neosure with bella. it was great.
we haven't moved to that step yet with Catalina.
plus she is doing so great with the breastmilk too.
one day at a time;)
thanks mamas!
Love, j

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Postby catherine » Tue Jun 15, 2004 08:01 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Tue Jun 15, 2004 08:01 am

Jennifer, she may just be a bit slow to kick in. Lucy was born at 5 lb 2 oz and left the hospital at that weight at 10 days old. She still weighed 5 lb at her first ped visit almost a week later. At that point she was getting exclusively BF although she'd been getting formula in the hospital because it took so long, almost 8 days, for my milk to come in. Once she started to nurse more efficiently we started to see a slow and steady gain that began to accelerate once she was effectively emptying both breasts at each feeding.

I did notice that the advice I got from the lactation consultant this time around had changed significantly from just 20 months before. They used be be obsessive about you nursing 10 min from both breasts each time and then starting the next feeding with the underused one. This time around I was encouraged to let Chloe go as long as she wanted, and if she only wanted the one, just start with the other next time out. That went very smoothly, at the beginning she nursed to completion (fast asleep) on one side, then I put her down and pumped from the unused side if I was uncomfortable. I didn't go all lopsided, the freezer stash increased astoundingly fast and though Chloe was 5 lb 5 oz leaving the hospital, she weighed 8 lbs when she had to go into hospital because of an infection at 4 weeks old. I nearly passed out with shock when the nurse weighed her, I couldn't believe that she could have packed on the lbs so fast!!!!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby pugmommy7 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 06:23 pm

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Tue Jun 15, 2004 06:23 pm

wow!!catherine, i hope that happens for us.
i am so happy to have good supply this time. i am able to pump about 2 oz per feeding , which i think is pretty good considering her age and size. wdyt?

catalina is a great nurser. she falls asleep w/ milk dripping out of her mouth quite often.
it makes me feel great when that happens!

my doc also said it was ok to do 20min. on one side, and pump the other. i do that too. i just follow her lead.

she also likes to use me as a human pacifier, i justwant to be sure she's nursed enough first. i feel she does. she makes no bones about letting me know when she is hungry:)
i just worry.
i really appreciate your input and enjoy reading your responses. you are very encouraging!
you'd be a great lll leader! speaking of... i gotta get my butt to a support group meeting. they have them right at the hosp where i delivered, around the corner!

but i am still at that lucky-to-get-a-shower stage:)

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Postby catherine » Tue Jun 15, 2004 06:40 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Tue Jun 15, 2004 06:40 pm

If she is nursing well Jennifer, I suspect that it's only a matter of time before you see her gain. Especially if you are only pumping a couple of oz afterwards. I'd usually get almost 5 from a breast that she hadn't touched and it was easy to pump because letdown had kicked in etc. BTW, I have teeny weeny little bbs [B)]. They used to call me ketchup cups when I was a teenager and immediate postpartum I barely fill a C cup so size means nothing. Milk running out her mouth is the best sign!! It is so cute. I love that "milk face" they have after they've nursed and then they stretch that little bit!!!

The handy thing is that they assimilate BM so fast that their stomachs empty rapidly and they can eat again. PITA for you but easier to get more food in than with filling formula which is high cal and good, but doesn't process as fast so you can't squeeze in more LOL!

Catherine
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby pugmommy7 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 07:36 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 07:36 am

wow 5 ounces?
i am pumping about 3 oz total now-both boobs-, after she eats, or when i feel engorged and she's sleeping well btween feeds. but she is still a peanut.
i hope things are good tommorrow.-weight check.
she is finally having mustard poops, after lots of dark stuff from the bilirubin.

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Postby catherine » Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:26 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 08:26 am

Ancient history now Jennifer, I strapped the girls in an A cup this morning for the first time since high school [:(]. I guess three babies have just about sucked all the good out of them.

I think that pumping volume has a huge amount to do with technique. I'd recommend reading some of the old pumping treads (mostly in the after the baby is born forum), people have been really good about describing what works best for them. I'd recommend seeing if any of their tips make pumping easier....

[:p]

Catherine
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 06:57 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Fri Jun 18, 2004 06:57 am

thanks, i will.
i used a mini electric one for the first time today, vs manual- what a difference. both in time and volume!!
i think it even has better suction than the hosp grade one i rented last preg.
i never had luck with any outside the hospital. i even got my $ back from the pharmacy, b/c it never "felt" right, nor as strong as the hospital's.
thanks again

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Return to Parents of Preemies