Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Update and questions

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Update and questions

Postby newdad » Sun Sep 18, 2005 06:39 pm

by newdad (7 Posts), Sun Sep 18, 2005 06:39 pm

It has been several weeks since I have posted any info or even looked at the forum.

Sam is progressing well. The "roller coaster ride" that everyone one used to describe the NICU experience is pretty accurate. Sam is stable, eating food, off the ventilator. With that said, it is still a slow process and my wife and I have settled into what seems like a hectic routine of visiting the hospital while juggling the rest of life.

The reason that I post today is that my wife has been experiencing some health issues and I would like to see if others have had similar experiences. She is still on blood pressure medication but there are days when it still rises to the low end of high. She is not usually overexerting herself but her heart rate is also elevated. She has some chest pains and occasionally a shoulder pain that goes along with it. Of course our concern is that she might be having a heart attack but she could also be experiencing an anxiety attack as well. The schedule of hospital, breast pumping, lack of sleep and so forth are taking their toll.

We plan on going to the doctor in the next day or so but I want to get some feedback from others who have experienced preeclampsia and/or HELLP syndrome. It has been almost 5 weeks since she delivered.

Thanks
newdad

Re : Update and questions

Postby cassie05 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 07:12 pm

by cassie05 (2243 Posts), Sun Sep 18, 2005 07:12 pm

Hi nice to see you around again. Im so glad that Sam is doing good. I remember how hectic the NICU was. It all does get really tiring. Im not exactly sure what your wifes pain may be, but I had chest pain and shoulder pain after having Kaitlyn, mine turned out to be gallstones (pregnancy can bring those things on and it hurts real bad) but like you said it can also be anxiety attacks or a number of other things (remember Im not a doc) DOes she get a tingly feeling with all this?? I had one anziety attack the day I was diagnosed with gallstones and I thought for sure it was pp pe or a heart attack, but it wasnt. Definatly a good idea to get her in the drs. Sorry Im not much help.
cassie05

Postby fiona » Sun Sep 18, 2005 07:13 pm

by fiona (5767 Posts), Sun Sep 18, 2005 07:13 pm

Hello, and I'm glad Sam continues to thrive.

It is possible to have pe up to six weeks post-partum. Having said that, it's not something I have experience of, and am not qualified to judge your wife's symptoms. Hopefully others will chime in with more useful info soon.

I'm glad that you are seeing the Dr tomorrow.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby lorelei » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:34 pm

by lorelei (3788 Posts), Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:34 pm

I have nothing helpful to add..But I just wanted to say that I am glad your son is thriving and that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
lorelei

Postby denise » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:23 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:23 pm

Glad to hear Sam is doing well. I hope he's home with you soon!

I don't have much to add, but to please see the doctor. Which it looks like she will be doing this week. There are many things that could be going on, and since your wife is 5 weeks pp, she is still recovering. For some of us, actual recovery to the point of feeling somewhat normal after PE took months.

I hope the appt goes well, and you have some idea of what is going on soon.
denise

Postby gordon k » Mon Sep 19, 2005 01:09 am

by gordon k (113 Posts), Mon Sep 19, 2005 01:09 am

So glad to hear that Sam is doing well.

Although my wife and I did not have issues with prematurity, we did have issues with post-partum preeclampsia, one week and five weeks after delivery. I'm glad that you're going to be seeing her doctor soon, and please tell the doctor any concerns that you and your wife may have. Concern about heart attacks and/or anxiety will hopefully be taken seriously and the doctor will give you the gift of peace of mind.

Again, I'm not a doctor myself, but preeclampsia does happen post-partum--my wife was five weeks post-partum (like yours) when one of her bouts hit, and it was worse than the one week post-partum bout. I'm glad to see that she's checking her pressures. If I were you, I'd show the pressures to the doctor and tell him or her every concern that you have. Each case is different; my wife was put on nifedipine which brought pressures right down to a little bit below 120/80 from ~200/110. Her perinatologist also ran blood tests and 24 hour urine tests to check her kidney and liver functions, and her cuff was checking the pressures about every 15 minutes in the hospital. They also checked her eyes and her reflexes.

Hopefully your wife won't have to be admitted as mine was. As a concerned husband, I know that it's hard not knowing exactly what is going on, and hopefully your doctor will not leave a single stone unturned, give you peace of mind, and ensure that what he or she does leaves your wife feeling better with lower blood pressures.

Thanks for checking in; keeping all three of you in our thoughts and prayers for improved health and peace of mind from her doctor. I know that the schedule is hectic to say the least, please try to take care of yourself. It will give you more strength to help your wife and son.
gordon k

Postby lucy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 03:21 am

by lucy (4706 Posts), Mon Sep 19, 2005 03:21 am

Glad Sam is doing good, I would def agree she should go in, please take care and keep us updated. Hope your littleo ne can go home with ypu before too terribly long.
lucy

Return to Dads