Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Generally Concerned - looking for info

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : Generally Concerned - looking for info

Postby gordon k » Sat Jul 30, 2005 05:53 pm

More than anything I'm glad that the doctors and nurses are beginning to listen to and take you seriously. It seems like your response from them is much better than in the past. Continued good luck, thanks for the update.
gordon k

Postby fiona » Sat Jul 30, 2005 06:02 pm

I'm glad your concerns are being taken seriously and that your baby boy is doing so well. In my last pregnancy, my home BPs were generally higher than at my OBs office. I think it was because he was so good, I really realaxed when I went in - whereas at home I was generally anxious. That said, when they did start to climb, the readings became much closer.

I can't be of much use regarding platelets, except I know that my first and second babies were delivered on the strength of them dropping too far. At that point, I'd say I definitely felt not quite right -nothing specific, just unwell. I'd urge your wife to go in and be checked out if she notices any changes in her symptoms. But I hope things remain stable for a few weeks yet.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby denise » Sat Jul 30, 2005 08:35 pm

Thanks for the update. SOunds like baby is doing well. I hope you guys are able to stay pregnant for many weeks to come yet. Keeping you in my thoughts.
denise

Postby anathor21 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 09:14 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Gordon K

More than anything I'm glad that the doctors and nurses are beginning to listen to and take you seriously. It seems like your response from them is much better than in the past.

You know, the only thing that really changed is that I know the right questions to ask I think. Reading up on things here has helped a lot and the helpful support has perhaps boosted my confidence.

For example, now that I see the potential link between the drop in platelets and HELLP, I plan to ask about the liver enzymes on the assumption that they were taken and see what they were - if nothing else I'll know a good baseline was established... and if HELLP is not on the forbrain of our Dr then it will be after the question. It also has helped tremendously that she (our doctor) seems to be doing everything very much by the book in terms of what the concensus "right way to treat" is - i.e. she is taking labs and checking them. When I see her doing what my research suggests is good it helps my comfort level... I'm also pleased to see that our re-worked appointment schedule has us only meeting with doctors - i.e. we were going every two weeks and meeting nurse every other time, but now we are weekly with doctor(s) - our primary is going on vacation next week (ack!) but we met her associate (partner?) and have no reason to expect problems...
anathor21

Postby gordon k » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:34 pm

Sounds good: keep doing your homework, make sure you understand what's happening, and remember that this is yours and your wife's pregnancy, and not your doctor's.

Hopefully your wife's OB has a practice that is similar to my wife's perinatologist, where all of the doctors are on the same page and will back each other up in terms of treatment and what to look out for. You having the right questions to ask and being on top of your wife's health helps a great deal.

Continued wishes for the best,
gordon k

Postby anathor21 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 06:10 am

The studying is good - the knowledge base lets me "rationalize what is happening and build a sense of control over something uncontrollable" as our doctor said.. heh. Thought that was such an accurate observation.

Thanks for the support.
anathor21

Postby gordon k » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:14 am

Continued support and best wishes. "Knowledge is power," as Schoolhouse Rock used to say, and in this case, it's true. (Of course, they always used to say "Conjunction junction, what's your function?" but I digress and used to watch way too much children's television.)

I'm glad that you and your wife are on top of things and that you have an open relationship with her OB.

gordon k

Previous

Return to Dads