Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Miracle to Marathon: Join Jill on the Journey!

Miracle to Marathon: Join Jill on the Journey!

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 08:30 am

by timelessbeauty (1712 Posts), Mon Aug 14, 2006 08:30 am

Copied from the Foundation Fundraising and Volunteer Opportunities / Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange
Miracle to Marathon: Join Jill On The Journey!

My name is Jill Siegel and, like many of us, I am lucky to still be here with my husband and our wonderful daughter, Brooklyn. Brooklyn was born by emergency c-section at 30 weeks when I began experiencing many of the symptoms of preeclampsia – high BP, protein in my urine, upper quadrant pain, blurred vision, headaches.

But after the delivery, which was supposed to “cure” my symptoms, my blood pressure continued to rise leading me toward HELLP Syndrome, a coma, multiple organ failure, and a stroke. After many weeks of ups and downs and a slow recovery, I was “well” enough to go to a rehab hospital where after a few weeks I was finally taken off of my feeding tube and eventually learned to walk, eat, and dress myself again. After a total of 98 days of hospitalization and 3 months of daily outpatient rehab, I was “released” only to still struggle with holding, feeding, and carrying my beautiful baby.

As we approach the two-year anniversary of our daughter’s birth and my illness, I have decided to combine my continued recovery work with a fund- and awareness-raising effort for the Foundation. On November 5, 2006, I will run in the New York City marathon – less than two years since I was unable to walk or even hold my scrawny 2 lb., 9 oz. baby girl. I am seeking sponsorships of my effort and all donations will be forwarded to the Preeclampsia Foundation.

You can help me in my efforts in any of the following ways:

1. Send a check or money order made payable to "Preeclampsia Foundation" to: Jill Siegel, 3217 W. Leland #1W, Chicago, IL 60625
2. Send me an e-mail at siegel.jill@gmail.com for copies of my solicitation letter to personalize and distribute to your friends and loved ones to assist in my fundraising.
3. If you live in the New York City area, come out and support me on the race course.
4. Keep your fingers crossed for me on November 5!! I am a first-time marathoner and if (I mean, when!) I cross that finish line, it will be a huge accomplishment!!
timelessbeauty

Return to Illinois