Post Reply FAQ Members Login

when did you take baby out in public

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

when did you take baby out in public

Postby holiday » Sun Jul 26, 2009 06:24 pm

by holiday (34 Posts), Sun Jul 26, 2009 06:24 pm

Jasmine got out of NICU on July 13. When would it be safe to maybe go to an uncrowded store/restaurant?

Also is RSV season Oct-March? Did you go out at all during the time, or completely stayed home?
holiday

Re : when did you take baby out in public

Postby sheri-ct » Sun Jul 26, 2009 08:01 pm

by sheri-ct (685 Posts), Sun Jul 26, 2009 08:01 pm

My 32 weekers were born in July and came home in September. I didn't take them out until April, but my DS still got RSV. I am pretty sure my DD also had it, but it was more like a cold for her. You can ask your pedi about RSV season. The hospitals let the pedi's know when they start seeing cases and how bad it is. When my DS got it, it was EVERYWHERE.......all of the PICU beds in the state were full. We were one blood gas from being shipped off to MA. My pedi told me that last year was pretty mild (at least in CT).
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Jul 26, 2009 08:02 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Sun Jul 26, 2009 08:02 pm

In your location RSV season is ~ October-March. They monitor March to determine if it will extend into April.

Because of her extreme early birth, I would ask the pediatrician their recommendation on going out in public. If you do go out think baby sling. People are less inclined to breathe on, or attempt to touoch an infant when they are in a sling against momma's chest. And if they are so bold, you can turn away, rather than trying to manuever a stroller away.

Our doc told us that when she hit 8 lbs she could go out with obvious precaution...but sometimes it takes months for them to hit 8 lbs. I took her to a family gathering at 4 lbs, but didn't allow anyone to hold or touch her except me and her dad. She stayed in the sling.

We did take her out in rsv season, but only to places that were incrowded/open, and only when it was necessary or I was absolutely stir crazy. I'd take her to the grocery store at like 9 and 10pm when we were practically the only ones there.

But again, I would ask the pedi.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:49 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:49 am

I agree with Kara, this is one of those pediatrician questions. I took my 35 weeker who was born in June "out" a lot last summer, but I mean literally "outside" for long walks. Good Luck, congrats on getting the baby home!
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:03 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:03 pm

My 3rd was barely early but she was just 5 lbs when she came home in late December. I kept her in a sling when we were out for the first few months. Most people didn't even realize there was a baby it but for those that did know, it kept curious hands away. But then she ended up with RSV at 13 months so go figure!
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby denise » Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:25 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:25 pm

I'd check with your pedi. My SIL's baby was born at 28 weeks (PTL & placental abruption), he's three months old and her pedi has recommended they don't take him to any indoor crowded places through next April, after RSV. He'll be a year then. They can do public, outside places, but with care.

While both my kids were born later than your Jasmine, we took care for the first months to not have strangers touching them, everyone washing their hands, etc. We thought why risk it.

Enjoy having her home!
denise

Postby hannahsmom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 05:34 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Mon Jul 27, 2009 05:34 pm

Hannah was discharged from the NICU in December and she didn't go out in public until April, except for Dr. appointments. It was so hard! The following RSV season she was on the synagis(sp?) shots again, so we felt better letting her out in public during her second RSV season.
hannahsmom

Postby blznbec » Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:05 pm

by blznbec (153 Posts), Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:05 pm

My son was born in October, came home in November and didn't go out until March and that was only for doctor appts. and to his daycare provider..pretty much the entire flu season. We got to be 'normal' in May.
blznbec

Postby jfindley » Tue Jul 28, 2009 00:14 am

by jfindley (72 Posts), Tue Jul 28, 2009 00:14 am

I still struggle with this issue. Per our Neonatologist and pediatrician, 26weeker (now 8 months old) was kept inside and only left the house for doc appointments for all of RSV season (dicharged in Feb and kept in "isolation" until May) At that point, he was only allowed to go out to outdoor locations. He came home on an apnea monitor, so when he was taken off of it, we began venturing out a bit. We have only just recently began taking him to indoor places like stores and restaurants(even though we always sit at the outdoor tables) Our pediatrician has guided us through these stages and I am sure yours will also give you indication when it is safe to venture out. Congratulations on your discharge!
jfindley

Postby mikeys mom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 07:07 am

by mikeys mom (1331 Posts), Tue Jul 28, 2009 07:07 am

I agree with the rest of the girls. I would speak to your pediatrician before venturing out..... With Mikey I was discharged 2/13/03 and we went out to my cousins house for the first time early May. After that I started taking him to open air places. I think in July or August he went on his first plane ride and then back to isolation once we hit October. Although he did get RSV shots again and a flu shot...
mikeys mom

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies