Locked FAQ Members Login

outcome for the baby?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

outcome for the baby?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Nov 09, 2006 01:22 am

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Thu Nov 09, 2006 01:22 am

What is rate of survival for babies born under these conditions and what is the danger of such babies having brain damage. My granddaughter was delivered by C/Section 8 weeks premature weighing just 780 grammes.

As my daughter lives in Hong Kong it is very difficult to get any info. I do speak with my daughter but as she is still in shock and recuperating it is not really appropriate to ask such questions. Would appreciate any help, advice and support during this trying time.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : outcome for the baby?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Nov 09, 2006 01:23 am

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Thu Nov 09, 2006 01:23 am

Most experts interpret the available information on perinatal survival to be similar for patients with preeclampsia and those that do not have the disease. It is gestational age-dependent to a large extent, and related to the statistics for the institution in which the delivery takes place. In the medical center in which I work, newborns in the 700-800 range survive 68% of the time and some of these babies have temporary or permanent significant morbidity.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts