Rome NY Walkathon

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

Rome NY Walkathon

Postby celticepona » Tue Feb 21, 2006 08:49 pm

Hello all, Deanna was kind enough to post this in the NY section, and I am reposting it here...here's the deal with me...

This year has been hectic for me with going to grad school full time, student teaching every day, and also with being involved with fundraisers last fall for my best friend with cancer...I am waayyyyy behind in getting the PF walkathon going in my area. I have contacted Deanna and Jamie for some help...right now I am the only person working on this, and am completely clueless as to how to organize a walkathon. Is there anyone in the central NY area that can lend a hand? I feel like I have let everyone down...that is something that I did not want to happen but I feel way over my head right now. I would appreciate any assistance. Here is Deanna's post below:

Hello New Yorkers! We'd like to get a walkathon going for this year, but aren't really sure if it's going to happen at this point. It's kind of up in the air right now. I'm hoping to find some more members who might be interested in helping Amy and I out to organize this. (I know there are some of you who live around her area, so that would be great!) If anyone might be interested in helping out, please let me know as soon as you can. I fear that we may already be too far behind on getting this going.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deanna Smith-Powers (31)
Tom (30)

Mommy to Thomas James, b.2/10/04 @ 34 weeks due to severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Diagnosed with prothrombin genetic mutations-12/28/04

celticepona

Re : Rome NY Walkathon

Postby timelessbeauty » Tue Feb 21, 2006 08:54 pm

Deana, never too late to host a walk! heheh .. Yes I'm optimistic. We, who are doing WATs in our area have some new information that may help you get started. I wish you LUCK!
timelessbeauty

Postby tommysmommy21004 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi Sue! If you have any ideas, PLEASE feel free to share them with us. We need as much help as we can get right now. Thanks!
tommysmommy21004

Postby molly419 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:49 pm

Have either of you gals been part of the WAT phone confernece? If not, I would highly recommend it, as we are bouncing lots of ideas off one another. Shoot Jaime an email, and she can give you the date/time when the next phone conference will be held.

I would recommend to first find and secure your walk site. Next, work on finding sponsors and of course, starting to get potiental walkers interested.
molly419

Postby tommysmommy21004 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 00:46 am

Thanks Molly!
tommysmommy21004

Postby tommysmommy21004 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 01:27 am

BTW, what exactly are sponsors and what do they do? (I know what a sponsor is in general, but I wanted to see what their roles are in relation to the WAT.) Also, how do you find them? Thanks Ladies!
tommysmommy21004

Postby kdreher » Wed Feb 22, 2006 06:21 am

Sponsors can be small or big corporations and in most cases they might sponsor the walk by a donation - some even get a donation to cover insurance for the site and or the site fee. When we had the walk in PA last year we had hospitals,doctors and even small businesses. We showed them our flyer and some wrote checks on the spot. If say you have a business who donates $500 you might want to tell them their business logo will be put on the back of the tshirt for the walk. Anyone who donates money or prizes or gift certificates can be a sponsor. In order to secure them you have to knock on doors.
kdreher

Postby molly419 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 08:09 am

Did you get an email from Jaime or Kris (can't remember who sent it out) that contained a letter example of sponsor benefits? If not, I will email you mine.

Basically, it shows how for X amount donated, the company gets X amount of privileges at the walk. Honestly, I approached any type of company/business. I pursued "newer" companies, that would jump at the chance for advertisement in the community. I have found that the “more” established companies already have a set charity/causes that they donate to. Hope this helps!
molly419

Postby Dawn D » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:08 am

the pps have provided you lots of great info to get started, but I just wanted to throw in that if you feel the date of the national walk in May is not do-able, consider another date later in the season/year. I'm pretty sure Jaime and the others would approve of that. The main goal is to raise awareness and funds for research so even small events can make a big difference! Keep your planning simple and effective....secure site, set date, advertise, and gather sponsors. Find a few "helpers" to spread the word and assist you with details the day of the walk. good luck!

Dawn (34)
Kirk(35)
Mya (turning 4) (delivered @30wks/emerg c-sec/3 lbs./ severe PreE remianed after delivery
Dawn D

Postby timelessbeauty » Wed Feb 22, 2006 02:47 pm

Yes, I agree. If another date would suit your situation better, go for that. Some have had to move the date in their own areas due to other major events that are normally scheduled at that time. Nothing is impossible!
timelessbeauty

Next

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia