Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hurricane Katrina

Re : Hurricane Katrina

Postby tommysmommy21004 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:30 pm

Thinking of you. You are all in my prayers.
tommysmommy21004

Postby missgamecock » Wed Aug 31, 2005 08:56 am

Lori I'm from SC and have gone through hurricanes on the coast before, you take your most prized possesions. You take your pictures, important documents, etc. Everything else can always be replaced. Keeping everyone in the storm's wake in my prayers. Hope that everything ends up ok. I thought Hugo was bad but the footage coming out of New Orleans is unbelievable. At least during Hugo, the water receded. Katrina has water still coming into the city. Unbelievable.
missgamecock

Postby lorelei » Wed Aug 31, 2005 09:25 am

I can remember Hugo coming through..I was in the 8th grade and the wind here was terrible from it. We got quite a bit of rain yesterday from the storm. I just can't imagine how scary it is to either be riding the storm out or to have to wonder what is left of your home~ So sad...

Tanya~Anyword on your BIL?
lorelei

Postby youtan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 09:28 am

Found him!!!! BIL is fine and is in TX with his friends' family. Phew!!!!!! He was trying to call FIL elsewhere in LA and just couldn't get through until last night.

Its so painful to think what will happen now. Nothing to go back to now, nothing.
youtan

Postby cassie05 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:48 am

Oh Tanya, what a relief, I am so glad your BIL is safe.

My heart just goes out to everyone who had to go through this all
cassie05

Postby cara » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 am

Well...since the 17th street canal had a breach, Metairie is under more water. I guess if it's going to be ruined, ruin it completely...

My mother is a mess and my entire family has nothing to go home to. My dad works for Jefferson Parish Water and Sewage Dept so we haven't seen him, just heard from him a few times. He's running out of medication though. This is just a mess, girls. I still have no power. IT's so hard to see a place that you love so much go down like this. I have a degree in Disaster Management and I even did my senior GIS project on what would happen if New Orleans was hit by a slow moving Cat 3. Mike had just applied for a job at Jackson Barracks and was pretty much guaranteed the spot. I was GOING HOME!!!!! Now, there is nothing to go to. I always considered that my home since I've only been in BR since college. I would drive there at least once or twice a month. Now it's gone. My family and friends have nothing. All my clients from work are now otherwise occupied. How ironic is this...I WRITE EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLANS FOR A LIVING FOR ALL OF THESE PLACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cara

Postby missgamecock » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:21 am

Darn Katrina! Basement is flooding. JUST WHAT I NEED! Guess I'll open up the sewer line and let it drain into the sewer. This stinks! At least, the rain will be ending this afternoon!
missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:27 am

Got the sewer drain open and it was swirling down. That little * was on tight too! Now what to do about the carpets and stuff down there. Can't do anything till it stops raining. This just stinks. I am ALWAYS the one that is left cleaning up after the basement. Next house I buy better not have a basement that floods everytime remnants from a hurricane come through. Last year it was from Francis. The year before that was an abnormally wet summer. It rained almost every day. Good thing we are looking for a new house to buy within the next two years.
missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:36 am

Cara so sorry to see your post. Didn't see it before I put mine in. At least I have a home to go to even though the basement is starting to flood. Hopefully they will get everything cleared up soon. I work for the Corps of Engineers. I know my work is working on it now and they are trying to locate everything needed. It is the top priority to get those levees plugged. They have contigency plans in place for emergencies like this. Pretty much every district will drop everything to clear this up. Plus they have mobile disaster units that will come in as soon as possible. Every district is responsible for some form of disaster preparedness such as sandbags, ice, etc and we have emergency contracts that will have delivery orders issued off of them ASAP. In addition, teams are probably already staged outside the flood zone issuing emergency contracts to start clearing things out. Don't think they can get inside New Orleans though till those levees are plugged. Keeping you in my thoughts.
missgamecock

Postby lorelei » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:39 am

So sorry Cara~ It's just unbelievable....
lorelei

PreviousNext

Return to Louisiana