Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Feeding Issues

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Feeding Issues

Postby bhesseling » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:03 am

My daughter is 6.5 adjusted age. She was born in March, three months early and weighing 1 lb. 8 oz. She has many problems in the NICU but finally came home in June. She is doing great! Meeting all of her milestones. Her only issue is her feeds. She hates taking the bottle - always has. She's not gaining the weight that the drs. would like her to. Has anyone else with a preemie had these problems? Her drs. tell me it is pretty common and when I found this site I thought I might try to see if anyone else has had this problem. Please contact me and we can discuss further.

bhesseling

Re : Feeding Issues

Postby mom2tori » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:38 am

I wish I had some sort of advice for you but my daughter was born at 30 weeks weighing in at 2 pounds 7 oz and was/is the biggest piggy I have ever seen! In the NICU she would down her bottle so fast the nurses all made comments that Victoria should teach the other babies how to eat. Victoria gained wieght quickly and is still a hefty 38 pounds at 2 years old!! Is your daughter on extra vitamins and high calorie formula or something to help her pack some pounds on? Maybe she is just one of those girls who will always be petite and a fussy eater. I hope that something gets worked out so that she gets to the weight that the doctors want her at. Do they suggest anything for you? I would think if it was a concern of theirs that they would have some idea of what should be done for her. Good luck getting her to eat when she isn't interested, and I am sorry I am not that much help for you.

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97 @ 28 weeks
Victoria 1/8/02 @ 30 weeks
mom2tori

Postby bhesseling » Mon Jan 03, 2005 01:09 pm

Olivia was a great eater in the NICU. Even when she came home she did well for the 1st 2 months or so. Then it just went downhill from there. She is on a high calorie formula (30 cal/oz.) but she's just not getting enough volume. The drs and therapists have given us many ideas but none have worked. I'm not necessarily expected anyone to have any new breakthrough ideas at this point. It would just be nice to know others have gone through this. I'm not real worried about her since she's so healthy and happy. So skinny though :)

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97 @ 28 weeks
Victoria 1/8/02 @ 30 weeks
[/quote]

Beth Hesseling
bhesseling

Postby deerhart » Mon Jan 03, 2005 02:00 pm

you might check htat she doesn't have an intolerance ot the food your giving her. Also another thing to do is to check the flow of the nipple. If hte flow is too slow they can get frustrated at not getting the food, if its too fast then she could be gagging herself becuase she can't swallow fast enough.
Also is she doing this at the begginging, part way through etc? If its part way through she might just be getting gas or may still need smaller but more frequent meals.

A third thing to try is different types of bottles and nipples. My children HATED certain types of nipples nad refused to eat from them (and my boys LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat and eat like crazy and have since they were born),

Couple of ideas on things to try. GL

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby bhesseling » Tue Jan 04, 2005 08:28 am

I have tried many different brands and sizes of nipples and bottles. No difference. She goes in spurts where for a week or two she'll do great eating-no problems. Then for the next week or so she's horrible. Right now we're trying to cut down on the amount of formula and go for more jars of baby food. The drs. and I have had many discussions on this topic-one just last night. We decided to try using baby food as her main source of nutrition and just using formula as a supplement to hydrate her. We'll see how that goes today. In general, I try not to stress out about this b/c she is doing so well. She went thru so much and if this is her only effect then we're extremely lucky. I was just curious to hear if other parents' of preemies had ever experienced the same thing and if so, does it ever end?

Beth Hesseling
bhesseling

Postby mada » Tue Jan 04, 2005 08:32 am

Okay..quick quesation...DId your doc say anything about trying a sippy cup? I don't know if maybe she is too young, but my son started a sippy at about 6 months and did pretty well...I don't know if that would work, but you never know..Goodluck!!!

Mada Harpster-moderator for pregnant again

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby bethaniesmommy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:20 am

To answer you question, "I was just curious to hear if other parents' of preemies had ever experienced the same thing and if so, does it ever end?" For us NO!!! My daughter, Bethanie, was born 3 months early weighing 1 pound 12 ounces. In the NICU, once she started taking the bottle she did very well with it, however she only took what she was required to and gained weight slowly. She came home 2 days before her due date at only 4 pounds. It took her another 2 months to gain another pound. After that she would only gain 1 pound a month. At a year old she weighed a whopping 13 pounds! I constantly worried about it (but did'nt stress myself out over it) even though the doctors said as long as she doesn't stop growing and she is reaching her milestones around her adjusted age then she would be fine. She now is a very smart, very healthy, happy, energetic 4 year old that only weighs 31 pounds and is 40 inches tall. Getting her to eat is still sometimes a battle. Here lately she sometimes acts hungery all day but others a couple bites at each meal is plenty. It can be a real challenge to find clothes for her because anyting that actually fits her around the waist is WAY to short for her so I do alot of "taking in" on her pants.

I don't have any advise, we tried everything and nothing worked either, but do know that you are not alone, we have a very petite little girl as well.

Mom to Bethanie Ann born 9/3/00 at 27 weeks due to PE and HELLP syndrome.
Expecting #2 due Feb 25, 2005. Praying really hard for a healthy, long pregnancy!
bethaniesmommy

Postby paljane8 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:29 am

I am sorry this is so frustrating! I know you have become a feeding and supplimenting guru. Are you adding any fat or protein to the baby food? Baby food has less calories and fat than formula. Fat is baby's most important nutrient because their brains are developing. For us adding fat to baby food was a double edged sword because the child ate less. It is so frustrating when they have growing issues and I am sorry you are going through it. As tiny as my kids that struggled were they never earned 'failure to thrive'-thank goodness. But, to give you an idea-1 of my babies was bearly 11lbs at 6m and 1 child was only 15lbs at a yr (he was a mear 24.5 inches long). I wish you the best, Beth. Hang in there. I hope it gets better. Let us know how Olivia is doing, eh?

Nancy Eastwood
paljane8

Postby bhesseling » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:33 am

On one hand, hearing that someone else has had this same experience really helps and on the other, hearing that it really never ends is kind of depressing. Like I said, Olivia is doing great! She is in the 25th percentile for her height (she is really long, which makes her look even skinnier), in the 10th for her head circumference and in the 5th for her weight. The drs. say the same thing to me, "As long as she's not losing weight and is thriving, don't worry." But it's so hard not too. I've spent the last 9 months worrying about her and I'm positive it's not gonna end 'til she's like 18 :)

I have tried sippy cups. She likes to play with it more than anything.

Her formula is EnfaCare Lipil, which is intended for preemies. It is what she came home on. I have no idea if it has any extra fat. All I know is we make it so that it's 30 cal/oz.

When people refer to their child's age here, do most use adjusted or actual birthdate? I tend to always use adjusted b/c that's really where she is.

By the way, Bethanie has my name - I am also a Bethany Ann :)

Beth Hesseling
bhesseling

Postby deerhart » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:09 am

ohh it won't stop at 18 just ask my mom LOL
Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Next