what are the odds PE will require early delivery?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

what are the odds PE will require early delivery?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:24 am

I am 27 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with PE at week 22. My BP is usually good (120/75) although it tends to spike if I am up for too long (130-140/80).I've been on modified bedrest since week 22 (I spend most of my day sitting or lying down). I just got my 2nd 24H urine back and the results were 300. I am going to have a NST and another 24H unrine in two days. My perinatologist says that my baby is doing very well. He is already 2lb 3oz, getting good blood flow and has plenty of amniotic fluid. My questiion is: what are my chances of making it to at least 36 weeks? Are there any statistics for this? I am so scared of loosing my baby.
Thanks for any thoughts or advice!
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : what are the odds PE will require early delivery?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:27 am

The data are probably buried in all the high and low risk prevention trials. In all honesty I have never thought about this before for the following reasons: When preeclampsia occurs near term, the caregiver usually terminates the pregnancy. This question usually relates to preeclampsia remote from term and there is a big debate of whether temporization should even be attempted in the face of severe disease because of the potential compromise to the mother's health. Most try to control hypertension appropriately within 24-48h and if successful continue the gestation as long as no signs of maternal or fetal deterioration (HELLP features, renal dysfunction, impending eclampsia, fetal jeopardy). If you read the studies here carefully, none really sterling, two weeks is about the most one gets.

I do not manage the gravida but act as the medical consultant. As you know preeclampsia is unpredictable, the Greek term “eclampsus” meaning “lightening”. I worked for many years with a Doctor’s Doctor (retired head of our MFM section), and can still hear his wise advice to our shared patients once the diagnosis of preeclampsia was entertained: ”One day at a time."
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts