stay at home mom ? UPDATE

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
rachel a

Re : stay at home mom ? UPDATE

Postby rachel a » Thu Jan 05, 2006 02:48 pm

I'm so jealous! Congrats to you!

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Thu Jan 05, 2006 00:27 am

Dawn - that's great news! (I'm jealous!)

megansmom

Postby megansmom » Wed Jan 04, 2006 02:39 pm

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new career! Keep us posted on how it's going. Call me if you need anything, I know you don't live too far from me.

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 08:20 pm

Yey how exciting! Good luck!

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Tue Jan 03, 2006 01:38 pm

Yay! That's great Dawn! I'm so excited for you and just a little jealous! :) Maybe one day I can flat out quit..of course by then they'll probably both be in school and it wouldn't matter anyway.

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Tue Jan 03, 2006 01:04 pm

Dawn, that is such wonderful news!!! Good luck to you and your family.

I had some to add a little about insurance, for those stil inquiring. My DH's insurance stinks so bad that it would be an additional $70 a WEEK to add ME - and lord knows what to add my DD. So, I have been looking for private insurance and there are some reasonable plans - IF you do not get maternity coverage. since Dh and I are planning to TTC in June, that's not an option for us. We have to have maternity coverage. However, if you are currently employed, your employer has to offer you COBRA insurance if your employment ends -regardless whether you chose to leave or not. The rates vary, but seem more affordable than a private insurance. The thing is, it only covers up to 18 months....
Ug. Maybe we can move to Canada? LOL.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:08 am

Oh congratulations! I know its a hard decision and there is no one right decision for everyone, but I'm glad that you have found the one for you and your family. I really pray it works out well for you guys! Good luck and let us know how its going.

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:35 am

Good for you, Dawn. Best of luck and I hope things work out wonderfully for you and the family! [:)]

peanutsmom

Postby peanutsmom » Tue Jan 03, 2006 09:56 am

We are going to do it! I am resigning today when my boss gets here. We thought a lot about it over the long weekend and dh finally said "sink or swim, we need to do this". I am meeting with tha graduate school advisor today and hopefully will start school this summer. That will give us a few months to get used to the new arrangement before I start classes. I am excited and scared, too! Thanks for all the honest input on this.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Fri Dec 30, 2005 06:42 pm

I was working 2 jobs when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. We just happened to move at the same time for my DH to transfer schools(working on his masters) and no matter what the law states, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get hired when you're pregnant, so I was fortunate enough to stay home. NOT without its drawbacks, however. Because my husband was in school full time and working as much as he could but not making enough to support us alone, we moved in with his parents for almost 2 years. Thankfully, he was offered a wonderful job just when I thought I couldn't live there for one more second, and we got our own place and we still make ample money for our lifestyle and I can stay home. I agree, being a SAHM is the hardest thing I've ever done. It is a lot of work and when you have a high maintenance baby (acid reflux,sleeping issues,etc.), there are days when pulling out my hair really does seem like a good idea. I miss the adult interaction and responsibilities outside the home. I dream about the day that I can go back to school and do things just for me. Although I miss my working life, staying home means too much. I was in a pre-school/day-care setting growing up--even when I was older, going to Latch Key programs and such. Even as a teenager, I sometimes felt lonely when I walked through the door and was the first one home for hours. I'm not horribly scarred by it or anything, but I always felt that it was something I wanted to do differently for my own family...I'll just hold onto my dreams of school a few more years.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”