Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby denise » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:38 pm

It's great to hear from you and that your wife is hanging in there. Please do keep the symptoms list in mind. And update us when you can. Your family is in our thoughts.
denise

Postby hfwarner3 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 03:45 pm

With PIH, if you can get to 38 weeks and have a ripe cervix, you are ready to induce with no worries. Your baby is probably done with lung development at 37 weeks, but many OBs would like 1 more week to be sure, but getting into the 34+ week range is the major plateau and you are already there. Hopefully, with bedrest and medical attention she can stay away from serious damage to herself and keep providing a healthy environment for your little one.

The doctor can do an amnio and check for lung development. We had to do that with our last one and once the amnio came back saying her little lungs were ready we induced. She was born at 36 weeks and has grown like a weed!

Best wishes and keep us informed. We have been there and know what you are going through.
hfwarner3

Postby tooleyg » Thu Dec 28, 2006 01:06 am

Sorry for the delay in posting, its been pretty busy here. Now for the update...

We were working on controling the BP with plenty of bed rest, diet, and lots of check ups. Our last check up and lab draw was Dec 21st. We got the results late that night and advised to either check in to the L&D that night or return to the office, where we would most likely be sent to the L&D. We decided to check in that night, at 11:00 pm. My wife was takne back to tirage, a BP taken and was told that she wasn't going to leave pregnant. :) We were 36 weeks and 1 day. My wife was quickly hooked up to MAG and we were transfered to the L&D room. The tried to induce 3 times with protioglandin gels, and the 6 times with Cytotek(sp?). My wife's cervix never got larger than 1 cm dialated. The morning of Dec 23rd the doctor gave us the option of trying piticon, or heading for a C-section. If the piticon didn't start good labor by the afternoon he would have to do a c-section anyway. We opted to skip the piticon and head to the c-section.

Our baby girl, Tabbytha Emily was born on Dec 23rd at 1442. She weighed 6lb 3oz, and 19 1/4 inches long. We were released from the hospital yesterday (Dec 26th) afternoon. Both mom and baby are doing great. Tabbytha didn't have any issues after delviery and was able to spend almost every moment with us in the postpardum room. Mom's BP is still higher than desired so she is on medicine for that and pain meds for the c-section. Even with the meds, breast feeding is going well.

I'm a bit worn out, having to take care of both my wife and daughter, but family and frineds are helping out. :)

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who shared the experiences and advice, as well as kept us in thier prayers. A c-section is pretty different compared to our desired home birth, but a healthy baby and a healthy mom is all that really matters in the end.
tooleyg

Postby catherine » Thu Dec 28, 2006 01:39 am

Congratulations, what a great holiday gift for you and your wife. She did really great. Tabbytha sounds like quite the big girl at over 6 lbs at 36 weeks and I'm so happy to hear that they are both doing well. Make sure that your wife keeps an eye on her BP, it's important to be cautious and still watching out for BP, symptoms etc. for several weeks after the baby comes, no matter how much of an adorable distraction she proves to be. Please let your wife know that we'll always be here for her as she begins to assimilate the entire experience.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby tooleyg » Thu Dec 28, 2006 01:55 am

I bought a BP monitor from Walgreens. I'm sure its not the most accurate, but at least gives us a good idea of how things are going. We are also watching out for all the high BP signs.

One more question, what are the chances of my wife having PE with a second pregancy? We are a ways out still, but just curious.
tooleyg

Postby catherine » Thu Dec 28, 2006 02:13 am

Statistically, much lower http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331
but still, the single factor that puts you at risk for preeclampsia in a second pregnancy is having had it before. Once the time comes (and I suspect that mentioning this to your wife with her staples in might be a bad idea), it's worth considering a "pre-conception" appointment with an OB specializing in high-risk pregnancies or a perinatologist in order to rule out any pre-disposing factors e.g. unrecognized auto-immune disease, a blood clotting disorder, "unmasked" chronic hypertension. Should any of these elements be identified, then appropriate treatment protocols can be used which would reduce the risk of it happening again.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Dec 28, 2006 03:33 am

Many congratulations on the safe birth of your daughter. I am so incredibly pleased to read your update. I know it wasn't the scenario you had imagined and planned for, but a beautiful baby girl coming home so quickly is the stuff that real dreams are made of.

Please let your wife know that we are here any time in the future if she needs support over what she's just been through - or when you may start thinking about any more pregnancies.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby hfwarner3 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 09:28 am

Congratulations! I am glad it is all working out!
hfwarner3

Postby sarab » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:51 am

Congratulations!! I am so happy and relieved to read your wonderful news. I'm sorry to hear that the induction didn't work out - but, like you said, having a healthy mom and baby both home safe and sound is ultimately all you need.

Thanks again for the update. It sounds like you have your hands full taking care of everyone! If, in the future, your wife starts feeling like she needs to work through her experience, please know that we are here anytime.

Enjoy getting to know your little Tabbytha!
sarab
Site Admin

Postby anathor21 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 am

Congratulations! So glad that things worked out well in the end (even if not "picture perfect").

Happy to see the update and do keep us posted on progress... as you contemplate #2, check back for more info...
anathor21

PreviousNext

Return to Dads