Well, life has been just a little hectic of late!! It seems you were all correct. Here's a brief run down of what has happened in the last week!
What happened: We have known for a couple of weeks that the birth was going to be early and not full term. Cherie has high blood pressure from a condition known as pre-eclampsia, but it had been reasonably settled and we still hoped to get to 34 weeks. On Wednesday Cherie was fine and resting at home. Within about 10 minutes of tea, Cherie suddenly felt very ill (my cooking?) Having a pre-natal class that evening, we decided to go in a little earlier and get her checked (expecting to go home and rest afterwards!) The nurse checked her blood pressure (180/110) and immediately phoned our doctor. Within 5 minutes of entering the hospital, we were told that it was 98% certain the baby would be taken out in the next 24 hours. Ok, so this was a bit of a shock!! We were immediately transferred to the Labour & Delivery ward next to the neo-natal department. The next 36 hours were harrowing, with Cherie becoming sicker than I ever thought possible (swelling to be almost unrecognisable). Fortunately however, they were able to get another day and a half out of Cherie so that they could get some steroids into the baby to help with his lungs. On Friday March 11th, we went into the theatre and at 11:40 am Luke was born via emergency caesarean, weighing 1100 g (2.4 pounds) and 10 weeks early! We never did get to that second pre-natal classÃ¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦
We named the baby Luke Edward (the Edward part is after my grandad who died on March 10th 2 years ago)
Here is some info on Luke's progress:
Luke: Is stable at the moment. The doctors are reasonably happy with his progress so far and there has been some good news. Yesterday he underwent a cranio-ultrasound to check for any brain damage and most importantly to ensure there is no bleeding into the immature cavities. The results suggest it was all clear, but he will have another one tomorrow and then next week, a week or two after that and so on..
They did detect yesterday that a duct running blood to the lungs had failed to close. In full term babies it does it itself, but in premmies it often doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t. He is on a 6 day course of medication that usually fixes the problem, but if not he will need an operation to fix this.
Luke is being ventilated at the moment but had progressed so as to no longer need any extra oxygen. We are hopeful that the tube into his lungs will be removed today or tomorrow and he will go onto CPAP which will help with pressure when he breathes by himself.
Luke is expected to be in the Intensive Care section of the neo-natal department for a couple of weeks and 10 weeks in total (which means many trips to the hospital and back for mum & dad!) We have a huge amount of hurdles to overcome, but am reasonable confident he will make it.
All of this information was originally for my work colleagues, so forgive me if it is a bit basic.
Cherie is well. She is recovering, but dealing with being away from her baby.
I am absolutely buggered. I have spent two hours out of the hospital in the last week, but am now back at work.
Any advice on dealing with the challenges ahead would be most welcome.