Post Reply FAQ Members Login

?'s about anti-depressants

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

?'s about anti-depressants

Postby faith » Fri Jun 10, 2005 07:04 pm

by faith (143 Posts), Fri Jun 10, 2005 07:04 pm

I gave myself about six months to get over my fears, anxiety, panic attacks, etc and it just wasn't working. At the advice of my primary care doctor, I consented to go on an anti-depressant. I'll admit that at the time I was really apprehensive about taking a pill...I somehow thought that if I couldn't deal with my post tramatic stress issues (due to eclamptic seizure) & post partum depression issues that somehow I was a failure to myself and to my son. Well, fast forward six weeks later to when the meds started to kick in...I now feel great...finally, after months of needless suffering I am able to put things in perspective and I am starting to feel like my old self again...thanks God! My only concern is, how long will I have to be on the medication? My doctor feels that if it is working, then I shouldn't be worried about that now...but I don't want my happiness & calmness to be dependent on these pills. The way I am feeling now is the way I felt before PE & Help hit me. If anyone else had to go on perscription anti depressants after PE, how long did you have to stay on them??? Also, I was watching tv the other night and I saw a commercial for one anti depressent in particular that said if you have had a seizure in the past then this pill is not for you....while I am not on that medication (I'm on Zoloft) it promted me to ask my doctor if zoloft was safe for me being that I had an eclamptic seizure. She assured me that I am fine, but I must admit, my faith in the medical field has been lacking these days. Additonally, after I read a the post about "when were you diagnoised with h.e.l.p" i called my obgyn who informed me that I had h.e.l.p as well...and I didn't know that until just now...almost seven months post partum! I wouldn't have even thought to ask if it wasn't for the post I read on this forum. Guess you learn something new everyday!

Kathleen
Mommy to Matthew born at 37 1/2 weeks. Post Partum Eclamptic
faith

Re : ?'s about anti-depressants

Postby kim » Fri Jun 10, 2005 08:04 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Fri Jun 10, 2005 08:04 pm

I think it is WONDERFUL that you are feeling like your old self again! And, I'm glad you didn't wait 2.5 years, like I did. We've been through *, and for us not to have PTSD would be even crazier. Try not to worry about how long you are going to take the medicine. I am so glad Zoloft is working for you. I've just starting "Cymbalta" and was even able to walk into a hospital without having a panic attack, for the first time in 2.5 years.
Take Care and remember that a happy momma is the best thing for Matthew!!!

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby catherine » Fri Jun 10, 2005 08:19 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Fri Jun 10, 2005 08:19 pm

Kathleen, I haven't had your issues to deal with directly but I have some experience/insight because my mom has been dealing with depression issues for almost 39 years now (hmmnn... coincidence... I think not). Her response to this question if she were asked would go like this. " Treasure that you have regained your normal and healthy perspective on living your life. Know that you haven't done anything wrong or failed in anyway... you've hit a neurobiochemical issue (for whatever reason) and it will resolve itself (or not.. being honest) in its own time. When you feel ready, talk to your doctor about tapering the meds (they can be very difficult to drop cold turkey), and then evaluate how you are feeling." The most important thing that I've learned from her is that you need to feel like yourself, and that you are entitled to do so. If that aspect of your life should need some pharmaceutical support for now.. so be it.

I'm not a doctor so obviously not an expert but I think that they don't consider eclampsia a true seizure disorder, the kind that arises from specific neurological issues, but a symptom of the incredibly high intracranial BP that you can achieve when you have the hypertension of preeclampsia. So long as you aren't pregnant, you aren't at any risk for another eclamptic seizure.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby faith » Sat Jun 11, 2005 07:23 am

by faith (143 Posts), Sat Jun 11, 2005 07:23 am

Thank you so much for the great advice! For so long I was afraid that I had lost my old self...I'm glad to know she's still in me and seems to be coming back out...so you're right, I shouldn't be concerned how long I'll need to take the meds. I guess if I can go on feeling this way, feeling good, happy & enjoying life once again, that's all that matters. Thanks Ladies [:)]

Kathleen
Mommy to Matthew born at 37 1/2 weeks. Postpartum Eclamptic
faith

Postby shelbys mom » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:45 am

by shelbys mom (483 Posts), Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:45 am

Faith, I truly understand what you feel, I too haven't felt like my old self, it was when my mom finally said something, that I knew medication was the only answer, I am on weelbutrin, and am feeling good, I have been on it for over a year now, try and not to worry about the medicine and how long you will be on, if it helps it is worth it, goodluck

Kim (36)
DH John (30)

mom to Shelby 32 weeker due to pree-e, and hellp, WOW she is now three, and just beautiful!!!
shelbys mom

Postby faith » Sat Jun 11, 2005 03:26 pm

by faith (143 Posts), Sat Jun 11, 2005 03:26 pm

Thank you!

Kathleen
faith

Postby peanutsmom » Mon Jun 13, 2005 07:46 am

by peanutsmom (465 Posts), Mon Jun 13, 2005 07:46 am

I started on Lexapro at 6 weeks post partum and wow! I feel like I did before my first pg. Hubby and I had a water balloon fight last night while playing outside with our 3 year old. I was laughing and running around with them and I stopped and thought "I can't remember the last time I laughed and played like this." I was so afraid to ask for meds, like I was a failure or something. I am so glad I did. I have been on them for about two months and am also concerned that this feeling will go away if I stop them. I feel normal now and never want to feel like I was before, so I'll just keep taking them as long as they are working and doc feels ok with it. I know there are lots of women in our shoes- I just wish more of us felt ok to talk about this stuff with each other.

Dawn
Carolyn- born 4/3/02 PE with severe HELLP
Alexandria- born 3/7/05 officially PE/HELLP free
peanutsmom

Postby faith » Mon Jun 13, 2005 09:05 am

by faith (143 Posts), Mon Jun 13, 2005 09:05 am

Dawn, your water balloon story made me smile! I was just thinking this morning how absolutely wonderful I feel...I know this is making me a better mother, wife & friend. I am so happy that I am finally feeling happy. I call my zoloft my happy pills....it's so nice to not be looking over my sholder all the time thinking about the seizure I had months ago. A friend recently asked me about the seizure and it was the first time I was ever able to tell the story without breaking down. It felt good. Of course I know these pills are not going to make all my fears and troubles go away, but at least they are helping me put them all in perspctive---and I'm able to see the rainbow after the storm. [:D][:D]

Kathleen
faith

Postby jjbeck » Mon Jun 20, 2005 08:13 pm

by jjbeck (413 Posts), Mon Jun 20, 2005 08:13 pm

Hi Faith. I suffered a severe ppd/ptsd a few years back. I too was afraid to take a pill... but it was either that or ECT. My not treating the ppd/ptsd adequatly led to more severe panic, and temporary ocd. I tried severel meds before I found a combo that worked which was zoloft and wellbutrin. Wellbitrin is one of the ones w/ the seizure disclaimer thing. And well I have never had a seizure, I do have a family hx ( a brother and sister) so I was a tiny bit at risk. The risk though was worth what the wellbutrin did to help. I only needed to be on meds for about a year and a half. When I decided to get pg this time around w/ Ava, I opted to take zoloft during the pg to head off any ppd and it seemed to have worked well. Four weeks post pardum I was able to go off the zoloft and have been med free since and feel fine. I think though that everyone is different. Sometimes a ppd can trigger other depression if you are at risk. SOme need to take meds longer. Some do well w/ just therapy alone. For me, I think taking preventive measure has really helped.
I think your question about the preeclamtic seizure is a good one. I can remember when I was preg and had the hyper reflexes they said I was at increased risk for eclamptic seizres.... so when Ava was said to have brisk reflexes, I asked if her risk of seizures was even more ( being that she is already at risk from the CP), the neuro explained that it was a little different. Anyway... I wonder if those that have had eclamptic seizures, in general have a lower seizure threshold.
Ava has a lower seizure threshold because of cp and because of my family history. So her ped is a little more cautious when it comes to fevers, and meds that increase the risk of seizures.
I wonder if you can ask a neuro about that.

Jen 33
DH Bob 36
DD Ava 4/04

http://jbeck3.photosite.com/

jjbeck

Postby faith » Tue Jun 21, 2005 06:50 pm

by faith (143 Posts), Tue Jun 21, 2005 06:50 pm

Hi Jen...that's a good idea...I am going to ask my nero about it at the next visit....thanks!

Kathleen
faith

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....