teething ?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

teething ?

Postby love_the_daschies » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:17 am

Hi guys! My comouter charger is broken and I haven't gone to replace it because I am scared that it is actually the charger port and not just an easy fix.... so I stole the hubby's computer for the day. I feel so lost without mine!

So lou is just shy of 3 months old and something is up with him the past 2 days. Friday he slept ALL day - only woke up for a few hours to eat. Sarurday he didn't sleep at all except quick 20 minute naps. Today - he is sleepy. He averages 24 ounces of food a day, yesterday he was a monster and destroyed 34 ounces :o. Now I am wondering if he just liekd the sucking motion so he kept eating? He finally went to sleep last night a 3 am (after being awake for pretty much a whole 30 hours with only a few quick naps) after I gave him a dose of tylenol. He doesn't have a fever.

I know 3 months is a bit early for teething - and his gums look fine. He likes gnawing on my finger last night and has been chomping on his hands more than usual. He is a drool monster too.

I guess I will call his doctor tomorrow - but does this sound like teething to those of you who have gone through this? HE had just started to sleep from 9 pm - 6 am.. now this!
love_the_daschies

Re : teething ?

Postby love_the_daschies » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:18 am

appearently I can't spell on no sleep - oh well!
love_the_daschies

Postby missgamecock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 03:12 pm

Could be teething. Sounds more like a growth spurt.
missgamecock

Postby hols537 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 03:32 pm

Sounds more like a growth spurt to me too. Teething was always a non-event in my house though, so I'm not sure I'd know what the signs looked like (other than suddenly having teeth). One thing I've learned about babies and sleep though is that sleep begets sleep...and the reverse is very true. Once a kid gets overtired or overstimulated it's hard to get them to relax and sleep even if nothing else is wrong. Any change of routine can be enough to get them all messed up.

Your description doesn't sound like one of pain, but of a normal baby :) Hope the doc can confirm for you!

FWIW - Alexander was 6 months before his night sleep was regular and Jonathan was closer to a year...I swear by Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Mark Weissbluth for sleep tips.
hols537

Postby heather j » Sun Jun 27, 2010 03:56 pm

I agree that it sounds like little Lou is growing! :) As long as nothing else changes in his routine (as has been our experience) he should return to his normal sleep pattern after the growth spurt (or teething, illness, whatever the case may be). We've also found - like Holly mentioned - the more restful sleep they get, the better they sleep.

Teething in our house has been much like Holly described - a non-event. Mine were both drool fountains from about 3 months until 10 or so, and both were very orally fixated, chewing on their own hands, my hands, clothing, burp cloths. Usually, I'd happen to take a random peek at their gums and discover some new teeth poking through. I know some babies have a much more difficult time with teething, but ours just seemed to sprout them overnight.

These babies always keep us guessing ;).
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby tracym » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:23 pm

I was thinking growth spurt also. I'm pretty sure they have one around 12 weeks. I seem to remember having days of just sitting on the couch feeding almost non stop at around that age. Hubby would come home from work and I'd still be in my pyjamas and starving as I couldn't get up long enough to get a shower or food.

I hope it passes soon :)

tracym

Postby mellybute » Mon Jun 28, 2010 00:57 am

I wish I could say teething has been a non event in our house. I didn't even know it could be a non event. LOL. I remember asking my pedi the youngest she had seen babies get teeth and she said 4 months, but it's unusual to get any that young.

Both my boys have had a rough time with teething, but never cut just one. They always cut atleast two at a time, sometimes even 3 and four at a time. And both would refuse the nipple/bottle during this time and even run low grade fevers. It has been quite dreadful for them both until the teeth were about 1/2 way out. My baby is almost 11 months and has now cut eight teeth. It has been fun, let me tell you ;)

It could def be a growth spurt which always does seem to affect sleep patterns for short time.
mellybute

Postby mnmom » Tue Jun 29, 2010 07:47 am

Hi Jamie, welcome to the world of infants. Trying to figure them out made me crazy sometimes. As far as teething, it could be, although with mine, their gums looked pretty sore once we were close to teeth. Sucking at that age is usually comforting. Does he use a nuk or his thumb? Also could be some fluid in the ears. I know that mine would really suck and chew excessively then. Also could be going through a growth spurt which would explain the extra eating and sleep changes. I'm alot of help, huh? If he isn't running a fever or excessively fussy, I wouldn't worry too much. But I know how hard those changes in sleep are on you and baby.

But, it is really good to "see" you! Hope things are going well.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby love_the_daschies » Tue Jun 29, 2010 09:15 pm

thanks everyone! i think growth spurt was right on. he has still been eating more - the boy is downing 2- 7 ounce bottles a day in addition to his 4-5 4 ouncers. he is sleeping better and actually seems a wee bit bigger - his clothes all seem a bit small. at 9 weeks my little man was 10 lbs 2 ounces and 22 inches - what a grower! i cant believe tomorrow is 3 months!
love_the_daschies

Postby surefoott » Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:56 am

Don't ever think 3 months is early for teething; my son had a tooth all the way through at 3 months. the doctor couldn't believe it when I said I had felt it while he was nursing then he felt it and said, wow, you know when they GET them so early, they LOSE them early. Well, that didn't happen; he lost them at normal time. But interestingly enough, my son's baby ALSO had his first tooth all the way through the gum at 3 months.
surefoott

Return to After your baby is born .....