HELP!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

HELP!

Postby mommy2maddie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:25 pm

My son is almost four months old and for the past four months all he has done is cry. He cries ALL OF THE TIME, and I assure you this is not an exageration. He spends almost every waking hour crying, although he does sleep through the night which is a relief. I am currently suffering from Post Partum Depression and anxiety, which I am on meds for and I need suggestions on what his crying might mean. I have tried EVERY formula out there, currently we are trying hypoallergenic and no change. His doctor says he is just "more demanding" which is total crap, a baby doesnt cry this much for no reason. This is beyond colic, I have no idea what is wrong and what to do. He is not hungry, his diaper is not wet. He cannot be consoled by rocking, swaddling, standing up, talking to him, or a pacifier, the only thing is he seems to like being naked! Really the only time he is quiet is if you are changing his diaper or he has a bottle in his mouth. Any experiences or suggestions?
mommy2maddie

Re : HELP!

Postby kara » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:52 pm

Since they are having you try different formula's, do they think it could be reflux? Reflux is like colic times 10. They can have acid reflux (GERD) without being spitters. And because you say he is happy with a bottle - makes me wonder. The sucking reflex keeps acid down momentarily. Have you tried any reflux medications? Our DD had a reflux problem as well as a dairy/soy protein intolerance. Hypoallergenic formula didn't do the trick and we had to do prescription formula and two reflux meds. Now, it may not be that at all, just one idea.

Even if it's not that, I feel your pain, as I walked in your shoes. And when you have PPD on top of it all, it's a horrible situation for everyone involved. I still get anxious thinking about it. I urge you to advocate for him with the pedi. And if that means getting a second opinion or a third opinion, do so. Baby shouldn't have to be uncomfortable/upset ALL the time, and you shouldn't have to be at your wits end. I'm not a doctor, but I don't ever think it's normal for a baby to cry ALL the time. That was my justification for advocating for my DD.

My pediatrician took me more seriously when I brought my husband to the office appointment with me to confirm that I was in fact NOT a drama mama, and that the baby was experiencing something beyond normal baby colic. He finally listened to me and never questioned me again, actually. I had already scheduled a gastroenterology appointment for DD, but he was supportive of it. Gastro did an upper GI, which consists of baby drinking a bottle of special dye while sitting under a special xray type machine to confirm the reflux and rule out other conditions.

Does he seem to have gas? Pain anywhere? Is he eating well and keeping his weight up? Any problems with loud noises, or soft touches? Any strange habits (rocking, rubbing, etc)?

Hang in there....you'll get it figured out and get some peace for both of you.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 07:12 am

Agreeing with Kara. I feel your pain. My first daughter literally cried 10 hrs per day for months. She was the first grandchild on both sides and even her grandparents were afraid of her. My mom came to the ped with me for backup. She ate like a champ, didn't really spit up, but unless she was eating or sleeping, she screamed. I don't think reflux was diagnosed much back then-over 23 yrs ago, but that is certainly a first step. With Jess, car rides were relief. Also the sound of running water and the dryer gave a few minutes of relief. Ceiling fans, too.

All I can say is that it isn't you!! And, you need to make sure you are getting breaks from the stress. I can share that with mine, one day at about five months, she just stopped. Literally overnight. Now, she continued to be a very high strung toddler and preschooler. She was the tantrum and drama queen!! But, she is now 23 years old and working on her MBA. It will get better. Hang in there.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby susheli » Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:50 am

Alissa, it sounds so hard - (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))). I agree with you: no baby cries so much for no reason. And I also agree with Kara. My seonc DD has reflux and it is utter *, BUT there is help and relief available. Sometimes reflux is "silent" which means you don't see the milk coming up, but the baby still suffers a great deal. This kind of reflux is even harder to diagnose. Can you try another doctor if yours won't listen?
DOn't give up - it "shouldn't" be like this!
xox Sush
susheli

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 am

Well so far on the hypoallergenic formula there is no change in the crying, however there is one change, he seems to be going to the bathroom more, like three times a day. Normally he only goes once and thats with Miralax, is this a sign that I should stick with the hypoallergenic formula?
mommy2maddie

Postby kara » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:42 am

Alissa, are the stools consistent in their consistency? What I mean is that he's not having diarrhea now or something different then before? Could it be the miralax that is causing problems? Do you notice mucous (literally like there is snot in the poo?)anything black that looks like seeds? Is the smell consistent? The bowel movements might be a good sign, but if it was a formula issue, the crying would likely have subsided as well. It really seems like it is something more...reflux or even a protein or lactose problem. Lactose would be better with soy formula or lactose free, and I'm guessing you've tried that.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 am

The stools are the same as when he was on the regular formula, it is just happening more. His "original" formula is Similac Sensitive which is lactose free. I feel like there is not an answer to his crying! It is just hard because no one wants to babysit or be around him, including his grandparents, because he cries so much. I cant take him to the store or anything like that because the crying!
mommy2maddie

Postby kara » Thu Feb 04, 2010 01:20 pm

I'd drag my husband to the pedi and tell them you aren't leaving until they figure out if it's silent reflux or something else. That's basically what I had to do. He's in pain for some reason and that's not right or normal. It could be a number of other things too, but that is the docs job.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby milesymommy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 01:27 pm

I would definitely have him tested for reflux. But you might want to research another issue... I can't remember its exact name, but essentially your child may be over-sensitized to "feelings" - as in anything against the skin. I remember reading a blog. This woman for years battled with her daughter over getting dressed and her duaghter would scream every day. She was finally diagnosed with a disordered relating to sensations - essentially certain types of material against her skin literally felt like sand paper to her. I only think of that since you mention he loves being naked.
milesymommy

Postby kbunsey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 05:10 pm

I don't have any advice or suggestions just a ((((((((BIG HUG))))))))
kbunsey

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....