Hypoallergenic formula brands

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Hypoallergenic formula brands

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 am

As I said in an earlier post it has not changed DS's crying but it has made him go to the bathroom more, which leads me to believe that it is digesting better than his regular formula. But I was wondering is Similac Hypoallergenic going to be the same as Enfamil, or other brands? I remeber in the NICU, he threw up alot on regular Similac, and the doctor asked me what his sister was on and I said Enfamil and he said Oh! That is what he needs to be on then. So is there a difference? Am I going to get a different result with Enfamil Hypoallergenic?
mommy2maddie

Re : Hypoallergenic formula brands

Postby kara » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am

You "might" get a different result. Our DD couldn't tolerate enfamil (think that's what it was called) at all. But she did well with similac alimentum for a couple of weeks before that stopped working for her. The pedi said for us that it took DD body a week or two to recognize and develop the intolerance to the formula. If you do switch you may want to do it slowly, mixing the two for a few days while increasing the increment of the new formula. If you ask your pedi they will probably say that it won't make much difference. Have you tried gas drops?
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby ckthomas05 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am

Enfamil Nutramigin worked for DD and Similac Alimentum for DS.
ckthomas05

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 am

I tried that gas drops, it didnt work. Ugh, I am just so disappointed that this formula isnt working. Is a sign of reflux that they want to eat all the time? He eats and then an hour later he wants to eat again, not every time, but about twice a day he does this and I try to hold him off but he cries, but lately I have been giving in.
mommy2maddie

Postby kara » Thu Feb 04, 2010 01:17 pm

Unless it's a growth spurt, it can be a sign of reflux. The sucking action keeps reflux down. Silent reflux, meaning there is no or little spit up, is like when you get stomach acid in your throat. It tastes nasty and feels like heartburn. Sometimes a pacifier will work too, but some kids don't like pacifier - or the milk keeps the icky taste down. Certainly we are not doctors, and it could be something else. Reflux is often worse in the evening, but that wasn't the case with us. Even with Rx formula we had to use gas drops before and after every feeding, burp frequently during feeds - like every 10 swallows, and not bend her over at the stomach, keep her upright for 20-30 minutes after each feed (think swing/carseat).
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Feb 04, 2010 03:42 pm

We had problems with both our babes when we tried Similac; it was just really, really hard on their tummies. We ended up with Enfamil AR due to DD's reflux/gassiness/crankiness issues. It was a lot better - that, coupled with zantac. She wanted to suck ALL the time because that was the only thing that would give her comfort. She'd arch her back, scream, and thrash about after almost every feeding. The only time she was moderately comfortable was right before another feeding session, and then it would begin all over. Our ped didn't want to medicate her because she gained so well (uh, probably because she ate ALL the time - she was bound to keep some of it down). My husband and I both went to her appointment and walked out with a script. She still spit up, but she was very clearly NOT in pain any longer. The other suggestions Kara has offered were tricks we used as well.

I hope you can figure out what's making your little guy so miserable! :(
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Feb 04, 2010 04:23 pm

One other thing I just considered....what kind of bottles are you using. We could not use Avent bottles. One sip and DD was screaming. We used Dr. Brown's which are specifically designed to reduce gas and help with reflux. Nipple flow can be a problem too - too fast or too slow can cause them to swallow air.
kara
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....