Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I'm New here!!!

I'm New here!!!

Postby kara » Wed Jan 04, 2006 05:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here, having just registered, but I've been getting lots of help and advice from the website for the past 2 months. I live in Madison and look forward to corresponding with fellow WI members.

Avery Ann was born 11/11/05 at 31 weeks, but had IUGR and stopped growing at 28 weeks due to Severe PE.

My BP had been steadily rising over the 4 weeks before Avery's birth, but was still within normal ranges. I did a 24 hour urine test the first weekend in November and the protein was 3x higher than it should have been. I was told to take it easy for the weekend and come in on Thursday the 9th for an ultrasound and additional bloodwork. On 11/8/05 I awoke with swollen eye lids, lips and hands. My hands were so swollen I couldn't hold a pen. I went to work and started having pain in my liver (turned out to be heartburn), but I called the midwives who instructed me to meet the midwife on call at the hospital. My BP was 180/120 and I was in a hospital bed within 40 minutes. I was so swollen that it took 6 tries to put in an IV. The nurse and head nurse couldn't find a vein, nor could the pic nurse, so they finally called the anestiesiologist who numbed me and dug in and found a vein. I was immediately put on mag sulfate and told that I wouldn't be leaving the hospital until I had the baby. I was given two shots of steriods and induced on 11/11. I had 5 hours of labor that I could feel, only the last 2 hours being painful. The nurses couldn't see the contractions on the monitor around 8pm and told me it was just cramping and that in 12 hours I would be given pitocin and an epidural. Fifteen minutes later my husband asked for the resident so that I could get some pain relief and she checked me and I was already at 6cm...no wonder I was in pain! Literally 5 minutes after that check Avery was born. The resident was putting a monitor on the babys scalp and I told her I needed to push. She looked at me like I was crazy and checked me again. Almost instantly about 8 people rushed into the room and they managed to catch her and have the neonatal team present. I was on mag for 4 days. It was all so surreal. I was finally able to see and hold Avery after 18 hours of mag.

Avery was 2 lbs., 12 ounces and then dropped to 2lbs, 6oz. She was 15.5 inches long. For all of that she was very healthy. She didn't need to be vented, but was on Cpap for a week (until she pulled it out) and then on nose cannula for another week. After 27 days in the NICU they sent her home with us at 3lbs, 9oz. At her last appointment she was 4lbs, 1oz, and we go again on Friday for her 8 week check-up!

My BP slowly crept back down over two weeks time. I go for my check-up on friday as well, so we will hope it is completely back to normal.

Well that is my story. I'm really happy to have others to talk to.

Kara (28yrs)
Derek (hubby,31yrs)
Avery Ann (11/11/05 8 weeks and counting.
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : I'm New here!!!

Postby jenchar » Wed Jan 04, 2006 06:34 pm

Welcome Kara! We're so happy to have you here with us Wisconsinites. I'm sorry you had PE land on you though. I went to UW from 90-94 so I LOVE your hometown. GO BADGERS!

I'm Jen (33) from Milwaukee, and I'm married to Charlie (34), my college sweetheart. I'm a 2 X severe PE survivor. I have 2 daughters, Grace & Meghan. I'll share my story. Sorry if it is long.

Gracie was born at 34 weeks weighing 3 pounds, 14.5 ounces. My swelling set in around 26 weeks, IUGR/modified bed rest at 28 weeks, BP spiked/complete bed rest at 32 weeks, Mag at 34 weeks, +6 protein, emergency C-section due to fetal distress at 34 weeks, 5 days. Grace had CPAP and nasal cannula for 12 days. She stayed 23 days total...left at 4 pounds, 9 ounces. I got much worse with my PE post delivery. BP crept up to 220/180, I had uncontrollable "twitching" epidsodes (aka "this close" to seizure), I suffered from hypertensive retinopathy so I couldn't see very well until 4 months post partum. My BP returned to normal at 6-7 months post partum. Yikes, this is a long list. Sorry.

With my 2nd pregnancy, I started swelling at 17 weeks off and on. By 20 weeks, I had pitting edema, but BP was still okay. At 25 weeks, my BP was 160/110 on my left side. I was put in the hospital on complete bed rest that day. I actually did pretty well with resting. My swelling got better, my BP dropped to a better set of numbers, but I was hyperreflexive...they would hit my knee with a hammer and I would practically kick them in the head. Tee...hee... I also received shots to mature Meghan's lungs. Anyway, Megs got into distress and on ultrasound had reverse blood flow from her vital organs to her brain. Time to be born...I had another C-section. Meghan was born at 27 weeks 0 days weighing an unbelieveably small 1 pound 9.5 ounces and 13 inches long. She was on vent for 1 week, and then went to CPAP, and then cannula until about 4 days before her discharge 79 days after birth. Again, I got extremely ill post delivery...almost identical to what happened with DD #1 so I won't reiterate that.

Welcome aboard. Maybe you can join us at our Feb meeting? Denise, I think, will be announcing the date.

Jen
jenchar

Postby denise » Wed Jan 04, 2006 07:46 pm

Welcome Kara! [:D] Glad to have you join us.

Sorry to hear about your PE experience. I'm happy to hear Avery is doing well now. I hope your appt's go well this Friday.

I will be announcing the meeting info shortly. I'll be sending you an email as well.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or send me an email.
denise

Postby kara » Wed Jan 04, 2006 08:40 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies! I'd be happy to attend the february meeting! Jen, thanks for your story...it's relieving to hear from others in the same situation! I was seeing the UW Midwives, they started preparing (and I use that word loosely) meofor pre-e when my bp started creeping up. Don't get me wrong, the Midwives are a wonderful group, but they didn't really tell me wht might really happen....probably because they didn't want to scare me into hysterics. They did tell me all the warning signs to watch for..which is what saved us.

We just moved to Madison this summer from Chicago, but we're enjoying it so far! Of course the move makes the pre-e experience worse because we're far from all of our friends. My husbands family lives in the Sheboygan area, but my family is scattered, so it's mostly just us. Transitioning to the stay at home mom role has been tough too.

Anyone have any experience with PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus)? Avery has a loud murmur caused by PDA that hasn't closed. It's not causing her any side effects (like breathing problems, etc.) The plan is to monitor it until it closes on it's own. If it doesn't close by 2 yrs it will have to be closed by the cardiologist.
Kara

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby mom2tori » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Welcome Kara!!!! I am so excited to see yet another WI gal. I am sorry about your pe experience but so happy that you have a daughter to cuddle despite the pe.

This Feb meeting is going to be so neat!!! Can't wait to meet you
mom2tori

Postby teenster3 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 00:35 am

Hi Kara,
I'm Tina & it is nice to have another person from the WI area to talk with.
I live in Edgerton (which is about 30 minutes south of Madison) and work on the East-side of Madison. Both hubby & I work in the Madison area while my parents watch Wyatt for us.
I would have liked to be a SAHM but I carry the health insurance for the family so it isn't possible for us at this time.
Wyatt was born: 9/19/05 at 37 wks. due to a mild case of PE. I didn't have the slightest clue what that was,until my ob/gyn admitted me into the hospital on my "regular" checkups. She too found protein in my urine & bp was up. I was put on bedrest (at home thank goodness) & made weekly checkups to monitor the baby's heartrate. The one thing I found stressful with having PE was the severe swollen feet, legs, & hands. I tried to work up until I had Wyatt but my doctor said: No Way, not in the condition I was int was hard to move around, let alone grasp anything with my hands. I feel for those who have had PE much worse than I did. It is not fun by all means!
Wyatt is a pretty healthy little boy though (except for the gastric reflux) & I'm truly thankful everyday for that!!!!
Nice meeting you & I too look forward to seeing you in FEB.[:)]
teenster3

Postby kara » Thu Jan 05, 2006 06:11 pm

Hi Tina,

Good to hear from you! I live and used to work on the West side. My employer has been very gracious in allowing me to return when I am able to...no strings attached. My husband works on the west side too. I was planning on returning to work shortly after Avery's birth, but I was only working part-time while I was pregnant, and we were told Avery can't go to daycare until she's much bigger and stronger, and it doesn't pay to have someone come to our house to watch her, and of course, no family nearby...so I'm at home. I'm a VERY social person, so it's been quite a drastic life-style change for me.

My pre-e symptoms came on really fast, other than the BP, which was still within normal ranges even though it was creeping up. It basically all happened in one day and then they tried to keep us stable long enough to get steriod shots in me. It's so surreal...like it was a scary dream. I'm glad you were able to get on bedrest and stick it out for a while. It's amazing how even a few days in utero helps the baby!

Avery just developed a lot of reflux. I'm going to mention it to the doc. tomorrow. It's been really awful for her the last week or two. How do theyt determine whether it's normal reflux or something that needs to be treated?

Kara

I'm really excited to meet everyone at the meeting that's coming up soon.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jenchar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 06:55 pm

Hi Kara,

My daughter Grace had PDA, and she was my big 3 pound baby! ;) She was able to take some medication which closed her PDA. I was relieved about that.

Meghan's PDA was heard several times, but hers closed on its own. We had a really good pal in the NICU (from being there so long) who's son needed the surgery. He had the surgery while he was still in the NICU. From what the doctor told me in 2002, the surgery is relatively simple, but like any surgery has some possible complications.

Is Avery's PDS flapping (meaning opening and closing)? Meghan's did that too, but like I said corrected itself.

I'm going to suggest that you visit the Parents of Preemies forum. I bet you'll get better answers about PDA there. Those ladies have helped me tremendously. Here is the link: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=23

Jen [:)]
jenchar

Postby kara » Fri Jan 06, 2006 07:12 pm

Thanks Jen! We had our 8 week appt today and Avery gaine 1#9oz in 3 weeks! AMAZING! She is at 5#10oz now. not bad for a baby who came home a month ago at 3.9!!!

And the best news is that the doc did NOT hear her PDA murmur! We still have a cardiology appt in a month, but this is a GREAT sign! YAY!

Kara
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jenchar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 09:12 pm

Yay for not hearing the murmur. Meg's showed up until she was about 6 months old, but then finally disappeared.

Yay Avery! I love that name by the way.

Jen
jenchar

Next

Return to Wisconsin