Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What's Your Passion, Your Talent, Your Job?

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Re : What's Your Passion, Your Talent, Your Job?

Postby 1buzymama » Thu Mar 08, 2007 04:40 pm

by 1buzymama (9 Posts), Thu Mar 08, 2007 04:40 pm

I'm a work at home. My companies that I have does lots of fundraisers. We donate 50% of what is made to organizations like this one, local schools, church groups, etc..
1buzymama

Postby ecfeeney » Sat Jul 07, 2007 02:30 pm

by ecfeeney (96 Posts), Sat Jul 07, 2007 02:30 pm

Hi,

I work for the governments education department delivering seminars to teachers on inclusion of adolescents with Special Educational Needs, I'm specific to emotional and behavioural difficulties. This is my 'area'!

If anyone ever needs any friendly advice on early intervention for their kids specific to education difficulties, I'd do anything I could to help,

Elaine
ecfeeney

Postby Dawn D » Sat Jul 07, 2007 03:56 pm

by Dawn D (504 Posts), Sat Jul 07, 2007 03:56 pm

thanks Elaine for the post. I have a teaching background and I know the value of your work! I'm sure other members will be grateful to know of your offer. take care

Dawn D

Postby alaskamommy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 06:16 pm

by alaskamommy (582 Posts), Sat Jul 07, 2007 06:16 pm

I have a BA in English - Creative Writing and was halfway through my Masters when DD #1 came along and suddenly being a SAHM seemed about 100 times more important than anything I could ever write. (My passion is short stories, and while I've won a few awards here and there, it hardly pays the bills, if you kwim!) I worked for years as a newspaper reporter and assistant editor of a parenting magazine. So I also do non-fiction, copy editing, page layout - just about every job related to newspaper and magazine publishing. That does pay the bills, but with four kids now I find I'd rather live cheaply on hubby's income and spend the few precious waking hours of each day with my kids (we home school too, which takes an incredible amount of time), so the career is on the back burner, although I do some freelancing still, when the moods hits me.

I recently started my own business because I'm addicted to making all-natural soaps, lotions and such (not lately though, because I'm pregnant again and lye is one of the most toxic, unfriendly substances I know of and you can't make soap without it) and have to pay to fund my "addiction." I have really been into herbal cures lately too and incorporate that into my biz whenever possible.

How is this useful? Well if anyone out there is still awake after reading this way-too-long post, I was thinking along the lines of proofreading materials or possibly helping write them if needed, and from the soapy point of view, I was thinking of developing a PE soap, the proceeds of which could go to the Foundation. Selling soap is a great fundraiser, BTW, as just about everyone uses it (at least I would hope so, LOL).

Basically, I'm happy to help out wherever needed. =D
alaskamommy

Postby lynnekay » Sat Jul 07, 2007 07:11 pm

by lynnekay (416 Posts), Sat Jul 07, 2007 07:11 pm

I am a professional martial artist. I own a Taekwondo school in Colorado and I am passionate about helping people to change their lives for the better through controlling the mind, body and spirit while practicing marital arts.

I have a unique way of doing community out-reach and fund raising by hosting Board-Break-A-Thons. It is a ton of fun and people of all ages including little kids can participate! Over the past 6 years we have successfully raised money for Juvenile Diabetes Research & for a young mother who was battling breast cancer and had no insurance. It is a great feeling to be able to raise money at a fun event and help people in need.

I would love to have Board-Break-A-Thon's for the PF and kick PE in the behind :-)
lynnekay

Postby Dawn D » Mon Jul 09, 2007 00:05 am

by Dawn D (504 Posts), Mon Jul 09, 2007 00:05 am

Wow, great to see these recent posts!

Christina,- I will share your proofing/editing/writing skills with Kathy our Dir of Volunteers as she has a better handle on what needs we have in this area. Also, so intersting to hear about your soap creations! I will email you directly soon(or feel free to email me) to talk more about your idea for PF soaps. Wishing you well with this most recent pregnancy!

Lynne - board-break-a-thon??!! what a different and fun idea! I'd love to hear more...and I could help you and provide you with guidance in coordinating such an event to benefit the Foundation. feel free to email me directly.
Dawn@preeclampsia.org

Dawn D

Postby bicyclist » Mon Jul 09, 2007 09:11 pm

by bicyclist (123 Posts), Mon Jul 09, 2007 09:11 pm

Thanks for sharing your talents and passions. I have emailed all posters that accept emails about getting involved and look forward to seeing more posts here.

Our active volunteer pool needs to grow tremendously, if we are going to wipe out PE in our lifetimes. Please let us know how you can help and we'll get you busy asap. To those that have posted in the past, I will go back through the posts as I have time.

If you're waiting to get busy now or we haven't utilized your talents, please email me and we'll do our best to get you as involved as you'd like, as soon as possible. Please watch the job opportunities thread, I'm hoping to get a bunch of new task listings added this week.

Best regards,
Kathy Maguire
Director of Volunteer Development
bicyclist

Postby carjashaner » Sun Mar 22, 2009 08:59 pm

by carjashaner (199 Posts), Sun Mar 22, 2009 08:59 pm

Ok.... is it too late to post here? I am new to the site and I am an Event Planner. I have been all of my life. I currently work for the largest social caterer in the country planning events for as many as 2000 people.I have been looking into getting into the fund raising aspect of the industry for sometime now, and after my ordeal with severe post partum PE, this is where I ended up.

I would love to help if I can. I am located in the Baltimore area. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do.
carjashaner

Postby kara » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:12 am

by kara (6614 Posts), Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:12 am

Hi Carole,

We have many events where your career talents could be very beneficial. The two I can think of off the top of my head are the annual National Awareness Walks and our annual benefit gala Saving Grace: A Night of Hope. I'll email you privately with contact info for both.

Thanks,
Kara
kara
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange