IUGR question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

IUGR question

Postby jennieexpo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:14 am

I'm curious, when I had pe thankfully my son was not the one at risk at all. He actually was doing great. So he didn't have IUGR. I'm curious if there are any moms here that had IUGR with one baby and not another. I am just wondering if its a greater chance of your pe (if you get it again) to affect the baby again or if its just random. I hope that makes sense. I guess my question is that my son was fine so does that mean if I get pe again that its a better chance it'll be similar scenario being just me with the brunt of the trouble?
jennieexpo

Re : IUGR question

Postby kara » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:31 am

I think it really depends on each placenta, and the reasons you may have developed preeclampsia. Somtimes our chronic hypertension moms have average or big babies for their gestational ages.

I had the opposite experience. I faired relatively well, while my baby was affected longer and more severely. My Pe is attributed to underlying clotting and kidney disorders, and likely autoimmunity problems.

In a subsequent pregnancy you are likely to be monitored more frequently for baby's growth, which should give you some relief throughout the pregnancy that he/she is growing.
kara
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies