Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Amniocentesis

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Amniocentesis

Postby crystaldawn01 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:35 pm

i had this test done today and they said my babys lungs are qute ready...im 37 weeks and 1 day and it really concerns me that his lungs arent mature..ive never been this pregnant before so all of this is new to me...im worried that he has something wrong with him bc my 33 weeker lungs were almost mature when i had him...they were wanting to deliver him today because of my previous health problems and how far away i live from the hosptial but deciced to wait longer not sure how much longer will find out tomorrow at my re dr appt...just wondering if im worrying to much about his lungs not being mature or this is sometimes normal for 37 weeker???
crystaldawn01

Re : Amniocentesis

Postby kara » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Crystal, I wouldn't worry yourself. Firstly, the lung maturity test isn't perfectly accurate. And many 37 weekers who are completely normal don't have fully mature lungs yet. So it can be perfectly normal. 37-40 weeks is considered full term, so you are just at the cusp of full term. If your 33 weeker received steroids or medications after delivery, it may have made some difference for him. Even though the test came out as it did, in an emergency situation it would still be relatively safe to deliver your new one right away and not expect too much of a problem with breathing. If they were all mature at 37 weeks they wouldn't do the amnios. If your health is stable they may test again in one week. Let us know what you find out tomorrow. Hang in there!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 pm

My MFM, when I had a flma at 37 weeks, assured me that should the need to deliver arise, that it was VERY likely that Ella would have no issues breathing. The tests can error on the side of immature, but not the other way around (I hope this makes sense!). Hang in there; I know this is hard.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby brianned5 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 am

I think lung maturity just varies with each pregnancy. My second daughter was born at 36 weeks and had no breathing issues. We didn't even have an amnio to check first because the fluid was low. I've heard of babies born at 39 weeks who had some breathing problems. Good luck!
brianned5

Postby jennieexpo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 am

on of my drs told me about doing amnio if i get that far along next time too. Does it really even help that much? I have heard there are a lot of risks with getting the amnio done too?
jennieexpo

Postby missgamecock » Mon Jan 25, 2010 09:19 pm

When you are that far along, the only risks to having the amnio is going into labor. As my peri put it to me, we are going to deliver you anyway. I had the amnio done with Cate because they put some preterm conditions in place at the hospital (in between Sara and Cate). They needed to know whether we needed a NICU or I could go to the community hospital without a NICU. They aslo instituted car seat testing for preemies. Thankfully her lungs were mature. Also, when mom is stressed with BP issues, babies tend to mature faster.
missgamecock

Postby jennieexpo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 am

That makes sense now that you explain it that way. Does it hurt doing the amnio and which way did they do it? I hear they can go right through your belly or inside.
jennieexpo

Postby missgamecock » Tue Jan 26, 2010 05:47 pm

They go through the stomach using US. The first ***** is like getting your blood taken or a shot in your stomach. The second ***** when they go through the uterus was uncomfortable and it hurt. It was a like a really sharp cramp. It was over before I knew it.
missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Jan 26, 2010 05:48 pm

Apparently the word p*r*i*c*k is banned here, lol.
missgamecock

Postby jennieexpo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 09:57 pm

haha I noticed that ...:) Thanks for the info though, sounds painful. I'm a sissy for pain.
jennieexpo

Return to Parents of Preemies