starting non profit maybe??

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

starting non profit maybe??

Postby holiday » Mon Jan 11, 2010 03:53 pm

I'm thinking of either starting a non profit group or trying to get a sub group going under the MOMS group organization.

What it would be is a mom's group for mothers with medically fragile children. (can you come up with name?)

If it's under MOMS group then it would be just like your typical mom's group.. (mom's night out, kids day out etc with maybe slight changes due to medical reasons)... or if it's my own then it would still be ran like a mom's group but with some support services.

Some services I thought of were

1. offering a little care package for mom or dad who are staying with the child in the hospital (trial size toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, comb/brush maybe magazine, protein bars, nuts something like that)

2. pamphlet with support service numbers

3. maybe some type of food program? dropping off gift cards for restaurants or groceries if child is home with medical problems to ease the burden on parents.

Can you think of anything else? Anything to do with this? support services, name... etc?
holiday

Re : starting non profit maybe??

Postby kara » Mon Jan 11, 2010 07:43 pm

I'd seek out groups that are already in existence in your area and try to tag on to what they already do. Better than reinventing the wheel. My concern would be in finding and paying for the services to care for the children. There are many different levels of fragile - some that require specialized care - which can be costly. You coudl talk to nursing programs, community medical programs, and established groups, like MOMS to help build on your idea. There may be as established care group that you can connect with to help provide the "fun" side for the parents and/or children.

I'd suggest you search the internet for a "sample business plan" and starting filling in your goals, and it will become more clear what your personal goals are, where your heart really is, and what you'll need to do to get it off the ground. :-) Good LUCK! Sounds very intriguing!
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : starting non profit maybe??

Postby holiday » Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:25 am

i think i decided to narrow it down to parents of preemies
holiday

Return to Parents of Preemies