OT evaluation tomorrow

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : OT evaluation tomorrow

Postby kara » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 pm

It was a good appointment. Besides the fact that she thought we were there for developmental milestones. We got it straightened out when she asked if I noticed any sensory issues. ;-) We have a therapy appointment for Wednesday and we will be fitting Avery for compression garments!!! Although I have a sneaking suspicion she is too small for them.

Julie, we have done brushing forever and it isn't effective anymore. :-( It really helped in the beginning though, when she was little.

The best part of the appointment was finding out they are a non-profit and don't charge, or bill insurance. So no copay's!! With weekly or more therapy, that will be a significant help to the budget.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Kara, sorry for catching this late. I'm so glad that your appointment went well today and that they're able to offer workable solutions to help you help Avery. Yay! And double-yay for no copays!
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby jamie w » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:40 am

I'm a bit late too... I am glad it went well (except for the small snafu. I hope they are able to provide the help you and little miss Avery need!
jamie w

Postby trish » Sat Feb 06, 2010 07:49 pm

Glad it went well & woo hoo for no co-pays!! That's awesome!
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby deerhart » Wed Feb 10, 2010 08:01 pm

Kara,

I would bet they have them in her size. We had lots of options when we looked at weighted vests and lap blankets for Alex (and then the school just gave him them as needed)
deerhart

Postby kara » Thu Feb 11, 2010 02:10 am

They DID have compression garments in her size!! It was the smallest size they had available, but that is all that counts. She really liked having them on. She wore them half the day (received them at her follow up appointment today), and is sleeping in them now. I guess we will have to wash them tomorrow. ;-)

I'm trying not to be overly optimistic, but she did put herself to sleep tonight, at a reasonable time, and without much help from us. The end of the day is hardest on her so everything from dinner on is a struggle. Not tonight. Let's hope that the garments have something to do with her behavior tonight.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby blznbec » Thu Feb 11, 2010 03:03 pm

I was wondering how the OT appt. went. Glad things went well and let's hope putting herself was not a fluke!
blznbec

Postby kellyo19 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 07:07 pm

My daughter was just diagnosed with SPD. On June 16th we'll find out what subcategories but from what I'm reading, its most likely Sensory Seeking but she also has some oral and pain tolerance issues. How did you get diagnosed so early? My daughter turned 5 in Feb. Any thoughts or tips?
kellyo19

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies