I volunteer for PF because ......

missgamecock

Re : I volunteer for PF because ......

Postby missgamecock » Mon Aug 07, 2006 07:56 am

I'm here because I have a genetic link. My mother had it with all three of her pregnancies. My aunts have had it. My granddmothers have had it. I had it. I don't want either of my daughters to have it.

I am here because of all the babies/moms that are lost to this disease make me very angry and sad. No mommy should be without their child and no child should be without their mommy.

I am here because I didn't know what a toll PE takes. No one told me how serious it was. I didn't know that I or my baby could die from it. So I want to see women and drs educated.

I am here because someone somewhere needs a shoulder to lean on, needs info., or needs help right now. Maybe they will find the website. Maybe their life or their baby's life will be saved because one of us was able to convince them to get their tail into l&d or their dr.

This is one of the few places where I can talk about my experience, help others, and have people understand what I went through. No one here asks when I will get over it. No one here says, it couldn't have been that bad? No one here says you are crazy for wanting to try again. No one thinks I am wierd or crazy for talking about it. No one shies away from you because YOU were the person that had all those wierd pregnancy problems that they are afraid to get. No one thinks I am wierd here. :)

sandy

Postby sandy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 05:40 pm

Oh, Sue. :)

Thank you so much for starting this thread.

Reading the replies is motivating!

For me, so many of the already listed reasons...my girls will very well chose to be pregnant someday in the future, and I just can't sit back and wait for them to get to that point and to experience pregnancies like (or worse than) mine.

Preeclampsia has been around since the beginning of time. Why on earth haven't we figured out a way to manage it better in 2006?

The time is now.

Thank you, Sue, and to all of our other volunteers who spend so much of yourselves united for the same reason.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Aug 04, 2006 04:11 pm

I'm here because there's no reason in the world why I shouldn't be the 1 in 150, or the 1 in 100,000... but if I had to be..and was lucky enough to have a healthy baby and to be healthy again.. then I have to do what I can to make sure that the numbers are 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000 by the time my girls want to make me a grandma!

laura

Postby laura » Fri Aug 04, 2006 03:00 pm

I'm here because no one was there when I had my girl and I didn't know how to get back up and keep going after that freight train hit me. I want to make sure there's someone on the end of that phone to be that answer.

And I stay here for Nate, and Angel, and Aiden, and Katlyne, and Zack, and Griffin, and Isaiah, and Josiah, and Sebastian, and Sebanna, and Faith, and Tara, and Jake, and Grace, and Maggie, and Kelsi and all the other babies I'm internet auntie to because I love them and their mommas and they deserved better.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Aug 04, 2006 01:36 pm

I'm here to honor my dead son's memory and remind myself how lucky I am to be alive and to have two living sons.

I'm here because I don't want any woman to lose their life or their baby because they never heard of preeclampsia.

I'm here because here I can talk about my history without feeling like a freak.

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Fri Aug 04, 2006 01:08 pm

I do what I can do as a memorial to my sweet baby girl Katlyne

jillmushet

Postby jillmushet » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:37 am

<- There will come a day when she will want to have a baby.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:47 pm

I hear you about the spellchecker! Shellysmomdad, I grew up in the QC's and am really glad to know that such great people are looking after my hometown! I worry about getting the word out in my community, but also wonder about home....and now I know you are there! Thank you!

Kara

allic

Postby allic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm

(Hi Sue! We caught a seahorse in our fishing net the other day and guess who I thought of? [:)])

Great question.
I do this for all the reasons you mentioned and because I look at gorgeous pictures of little babies who were born at gestational ages later than my two, who aren't here and it tears me up. I struggle with feeling guilty because I have my two every day. I want to be a part of making sure that everyone gets to sit around and, at worst, complain about horrid NICU stays....not losing their babies, daughters, wives and sisters.

I do this because everytime I write to someone about "Preeclampsia," my spell checker picks it up as spelled wrong!!!!!! It doesn't do that with "cancer" or "arthritis!!!" [:(!]

I do this because I feel a huge sense of closeness, which has gotten stronger since meeting so many of you--my PE sisters (and brothers) I want to help make our "family" stop growing, except to welcome fat healthy "afer PE" babies to the ranks.

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Thu Aug 03, 2006 04:30 pm

I do not know what it was like for you to face #1 .. I can identify with you on the other three. I do not wish this on my kids or anyone else's children. Thank you for your hard work! You are appreciated and admired for your strength and courage!

Return to “Conferences”