Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I volunteer for PF because ......

I volunteer for PF because ......

Postby timelessbeauty » Wed Aug 02, 2006 01:57 pm

by timelessbeauty (1712 Posts), Wed Aug 02, 2006 01:57 pm

Help me fill in the gap here. I have a few reasons, what are yours?

1) because I had PE and HELLP and I want to see it Wiped OUT
2) because I want to help prevent my kids from having to deal with it
3) I love to help people, whether it's through providing information, talking about experiences and sharing, touching a life through outreach, I love it
4) I don't work and this is fun to keep my skills honed, work at my own pace but keep up with new innovations and technological advances to help bring about change
5) to learn... learn as much as I possibly can about PE and HELLP and How I, just one person, can make BIG strides in helping to raise awareness and bring attention to a much needed cause

I am curious, what makes others of you volunteer?

I enjoy talking to other members
I love to crochet items I know will be appreciated
I like being busy
Someone should be doing it, why not me?

For all the volunteers we have in this Foundation, I want to THANK YOU for the job you do! You put in many hours, lots of heartfelt emotion, donate hard earned money to help make life that much better for the next woman/child. Thank You! You are appreciated!
timelessbeauty

Re : I volunteer for PF because ......

Postby michellelhuston » Wed Aug 02, 2006 03:55 pm

by michellelhuston (1251 Posts), Wed Aug 02, 2006 03:55 pm

Sue,

I think that you have hit 5 main points! Good thinking!

1) I love organizing events!!!!
2) Everything that Sue said!
michellelhuston

Postby kara » Wed Aug 02, 2006 05:32 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Wed Aug 02, 2006 05:32 pm

I volunteer because:
1. I don't want others to go thru the emotional trauma & numbness I went thru when I wasn't prepared for a life threatening condition and early delivery.

2. I want women to be educated and in charge of their own health and not be ignored by the medical profession..to help save their and their childrens lives.

3. I want to raise awareness so that PRE-E will get the attention and fundraising of other diseases like cancer. Our babies lives are worth as much as everyone else. I want to to find a treatment and cure.

4. I want people to have a better understanding of premature infants and the struggles they and their parents have.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby misscoleyp » Wed Aug 02, 2006 07:24 pm

by misscoleyp (436 Posts), Wed Aug 02, 2006 07:24 pm

Because everytime I see a new memeber that has lost a child to this **** disease it enrages me. This disease is not fair at all and we all diserve to be holding the babies that were ripped from our lives.
misscoleyp

Postby shellysmomdad » Thu Aug 03, 2006 04:10 pm

by shellysmomdad (96 Posts), Thu Aug 03, 2006 04:10 pm

Sue,

Reasons we volunteer:

1. We watched Shelly suffer from PE and HELLP for one week before losing her battle

2. We want to raise awareness with the hopes of preventing another family from "walking in our shoes"

3. We want to raise the needed funds to find a prevention/cure so our other daughter and our granddaughter won't have to worry about this illness

4. We get a great sense of comfort when someone contacts us to thank us for our efforts to raise awareness, telling us their story and how our efforts may have had a part in saving a friend or loved one.
shellysmomdad

Postby timelessbeauty » Thu Aug 03, 2006 04:30 pm

by timelessbeauty (1712 Posts), Thu Aug 03, 2006 04:30 pm

I do not know what it was like for you to face #1 .. I can identify with you on the other three. I do not wish this on my kids or anyone else's children. Thank you for your hard work! You are appreciated and admired for your strength and courage!
timelessbeauty

Postby allic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm

by allic (232 Posts), Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 pm

(Hi Sue! We caught a seahorse in our fishing net the other day and guess who I thought of? [:)])

Great question.
I do this for all the reasons you mentioned and because I look at gorgeous pictures of little babies who were born at gestational ages later than my two, who aren't here and it tears me up. I struggle with feeling guilty because I have my two every day. I want to be a part of making sure that everyone gets to sit around and, at worst, complain about horrid NICU stays....not losing their babies, daughters, wives and sisters.

I do this because everytime I write to someone about "Preeclampsia," my spell checker picks it up as spelled wrong!!!!!! It doesn't do that with "cancer" or "arthritis!!!" [:(!]

I do this because I feel a huge sense of closeness, which has gotten stronger since meeting so many of you--my PE sisters (and brothers) I want to help make our "family" stop growing, except to welcome fat healthy "afer PE" babies to the ranks.

allic

Postby kara » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:47 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:47 pm

I hear you about the spellchecker! Shellysmomdad, I grew up in the QC's and am really glad to know that such great people are looking after my hometown! I worry about getting the word out in my community, but also wonder about home....and now I know you are there! Thank you!

Kara
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jillmushet » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:37 am

by jillmushet (860 Posts), Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:37 am

<- There will come a day when she will want to have a baby.
jillmushet

Postby angelkat » Fri Aug 04, 2006 01:08 pm

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Fri Aug 04, 2006 01:08 pm

I do what I can do as a memorial to my sweet baby girl Katlyne
angelkat

Next

Return to Conferences