Post Reply FAQ Members Login

PE Gene Testing???

Residents of Canada

PE Gene Testing???

Postby abmomtobe » Sun Sep 16, 2007 00:02 am

by abmomtobe (1 Posts), Sun Sep 16, 2007 00:02 am

My name is Kim, and I live in Stony Plain, AB (20min west of Edmonton) and just recently found out that I'm pregnant with my 1st baby...about 5 weeks. The concern I have is that I seem to be at a very high risk of developing PE if heredity has anything to do with it (which seems to be the case). I was born at 34 weeks, at just over 2 lbs. My mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all developed PE with all or some of their pregnancies. I have heard that one can be tested for the gene that causes PE. My doctor is doing some research (slowly!), but I can't seem to find any information on the web about gene testing for PE. Has anyone ever heard about this before, or is this just a pipe dream? Looking forward to a reply.
abmomtobe

Re : PE Gene Testing???

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 17, 2007 00:15 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Mon Sep 17, 2007 00:15 am

Kim, welcome to the forums.

It's no fun to go into a pregnancy anticipating problems, but I am very glad that you know that you're at higher risk already. Hopefully nothing will happen and you'll have a long and boring pregnancy.

I haven't heard of gene testing for PE, and I think that's because they know of several hundred genes that are implicated at least somewhat. There are so many different ways to get this disease and not many studies have been done that look explicitly at women with just one of the risk factors (like family history, or underlying chronic hypertension, or autoimmune disease.) That said, I bet there are a few researchers out there who would jump at the chance to take a closer look at your family. [;)]

Is your OB a high-risk doc?
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Canada