Locked FAQ Members Login

postpartum eclampsia

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

postpartum eclampsia

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:57 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:57 pm

Hello. You have plenty of information on eclampsia but the condition my friend has been diagnosed with is post partum eclampsia. She has already had her baby. If you have any more information about post partum eclampsia im asking if you could send me it... My friend is in critical condition fighting for her life at teh moment and i would like to be a little more informed of her condition and what needs to happen for her to get better. thanks i appreciate anything you can give me!
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : postpartum eclampsia

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:58 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Wed Nov 29, 2006 03:58 pm

Eclampsia has been described as many as 23 days following delivery! The most likely time to occur following delivery is in the first 48 hours after delivery.

It is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that we presume that eclampsia causes a seizure unless something else can be shown to be a cause (stroke, hemorrhage, clot in the brain, drug toxicity, lupus, seizure disorder, etc.). We presume that something left behind by the pregnancy in the uterine lining underneath where the placenta was attached is causative.

It is treated almost the same as when it happens prior to delivery. If HELLP syndrome is also present, high dose corticosteroids can be helpful to accelerate recovery.

Most patients recover and complications usually resolve.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts