when should I get worried? high bp, nausea, headac

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

when should I get worried? high bp, nausea, headac

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Dec 20, 2006 01:21 pm

I have always had low blood pressure and the last month, my blood pressure has been between 140/80 and 148/90. I have been throwing up and have a constant headache. I am in my 34th week. My doctor feels that I am fine and do not have preeclampsia because there is no protein in my urine. Is this possible? Should I seek a second opinion?
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : when should I get worried? high bp, nausea, headac

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Wed Dec 20, 2006 01:22 pm

Preeclampsia is a condition that evolves over time. Fluid weight gain and swelling are frequently followed by elevations in blood pressure and then the development of proteinurua. All cases do not follow this sequence. Symptoms of headache and vomiting are common symptoms of preeclampsia. But, not all women with these symptoms have preeclampsia.

You clearly have gestational hypertension (elevated BP). Women who develop gestational hypertension preterm have a high rate of developing preeclampsia and severe preeclampsia. Your symptoms are very concerning.

Have you had a 12 or 24 hour urine collection for protein? How is the baby doing? Is it moving every day? Are NST's of the baby normal? Is the baby's growth on ultrasound normal?

You should have a very low threshold to return for BP checks. The progression from gestational hypertension to preeclampsia to sever preeclampsia and HELLP{ can be very rapid. It is never wrong to be seen again or to go into L&D if you are worried.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts