calcium channel blocker?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

calcium channel blocker?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Feb 15, 2007 09:02 am

Hello, I am 17 weeks pregnant. The twelve week scan showed a healthy, normal baby. I have chronic hypertension, a condition which I have known I have had since i was a teenager. At the moment I am a little overweight but active and I enjoy a healthy diet. I have never been treated for my blood pressure, however with my pregnancy my OB has decided to start me on Loxen Nicadipine. I had a bad reaction to the first 50mg dose and so I am now on 20mg morning and night with a view to increase the dosage as I can tolerate it. My bp before treatment was up to 170/110 and down to 140/90. With the treatment and stopping work we have seen a very slight decrease in my bp and hope that this continues as I increase the dosage. It is clear that i need medication to help manage my bp, what is your opinion of calcium blockers and namely, Loxen (nicadipine)? There is little information on your site as you mostly refer to antihypertensives and beta blockers.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : calcium channel blocker?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Feb 15, 2007 09:03 am

I cannot find anything on this brand name drug (loxen); nicadapine may be nicardapine. If so, it is Preg C. Some animal information of risk, nothing in humans, and risk benefit in my mind would favor usage.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts