Locked FAQ Members Login

Risk of pre-eclampsia and flying

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Risk of pre-eclampsia and flying

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Feb 15, 2008 08:58 am

Question: does flying (max. length of flight 4.5 hours) have a detrimental effect during the very early stages of suspected pre-elampsia (ie iimmediately after initial detection of urine protein or blood pressure increase)?

I am in 25 weeks pregnant and being monitored (daily protein analysis, bi-weekly blood pressure checks) following development of pre-eclampsia and later HELLP durings weeks 30-33 in my first pregnancy. I have a holiday involving a flight booked for week 26. If any changes to daily checks are noted I can fly home the same day - will this exacerbate any problem?
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : Risk of pre-eclampsia and flying

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Fri Feb 15, 2008 08:59 am

I would not recommend that anyone at 25 weeks take a 4 hour flight with the diagnosis of preeclampsia. It is not a good idea to be flying away from care. The disease can move so rapidly that you have a baby at your vacation site, or you are hospitalized at your vacation site for weeks. Medical evacuation is very expensive.

Exposure to altitude (average equivalence of 8000 feet) may worsen the disease. Many non pregnant people get significant edema after flying.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts