Locked FAQ Members Login

Testing for underlying issues after HELLP

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Testing for underlying issues after HELLP

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Feb 23, 2009 06:21 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Mon Feb 23, 2009 06:21 pm

I have been reading a lot online about underlying issues relating to HELLP syndrome, specifically clotting disorders. Should all women who've had HELLP be tested for these disorders? If not, what other risk factors would need to be present before testing is warranted?

I am considering testing to help me make decisions moving forward regarding other children and/or birth control.

A little background on me: I am 37-years-old. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, second in full-blown HELLP syndrome at 27 weeks. I was never told what class of HELLP I had, and I don't have the lab results to determine on my own.

Should all women with a HELLP history have a particular workup, and if so, which tests?
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : Testing for underlying issues after HELLP

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Mon Feb 23, 2009 06:22 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Mon Feb 23, 2009 06:22 pm

There is no need for any specific test or evaluation.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts