High blood pressure during menstrual cycle

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

High blood pressure during menstrual cycle

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue Dec 29, 2009 08:35 pm

I am 37 years old and I loose my first baby on May, 09 due to preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome, after I loose my baby I end up with high pressure and my doctors were thinking that I will be with chronic BP the rest of my life, thanks GOD, after 4 months my pressure came back to normal, I am not taking any pill. But the last two months I noticed that every time that I have my menstrual cycle, my pressure goes up (146/88) for those days and I have to take a pill for a couple of days, but then goes to normal again.
Can somebody explain me why? Is this normal? What I can do?

Please help me, I am a little confused.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : High blood pressure during menstrual cycle

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Tue Dec 29, 2009 08:35 pm

There is recognition of variation in blood pressure among some but not all women in relation to the menstrual cycle. There are so many influences upon blood pressure in a given patient that proving a menstrual hormone effect has been difficult. Changes in hormonal levels and other things such as prostaglandin responsiveness in smooth muscle tissue may be responsible for some of the observed changes in blood pressure among studied patients. To me the issue is unclear at this time, and research continues at this time.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts