Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Introduction

Introduction

Postby melissa71502 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 09:50 am

by melissa71502 (58 Posts), Thu Sep 02, 2004 09:50 am

Hello! I am coordinating the Florida group. Just getting started reading the manual and trying to make contacts with others in the area.

I developed HELLP around 32 weeks with my first daughter, which was diagnosed at 33 weeks. I began vomiting and had a slight pain in my upper right quadrant. Also, I had major weight gain/swelling but didn't realize it was a symptom until much later. At my 33 week checkup my OB recommended blood tests immediately for platelets and liver enzymes, which came back abnormal. I lasted on hospital bed rest for 10 days, 8 days of steroid shots which improved my platelets and developed baby's lungs. I began having a severe headache, rising bp and low amniotic fluid, so the baby was delivered at 35 weeks (via C-section due to fetal distress during trial of labor). She was 4lbs, 3oz, 17-1/2 inches and breathing on her own. She (in NICU) and I stayed for 5 days to recover. She is now a happy, healthy 2 year old and I thank God everyday. My second daughter made it to 38 weeks, I had high bp starting around 27 weeks and some protein around 37 weeks. She was born by repeat C-section weighing 6lbs, 7oz and 19-1/2 inches, no NICU! She is now a happy, healthy 7 month old (thank God again).

Since the birth of Kalindi (#1) I have read everything I can find about HELLP and pre-e. I wish there was more information/research/education/support out there. I think the support part is by far the most advanced part of this foundation, it has been wonderful to me. I decided to become a coordinator to help advance all of these items locally. As a group geographically in the same place, I really think we can spread the word and carry out the foundations goals wonderfully. I would have loved to know more about pre-e/HELLP while I was experiencing it and afterwards. It affects so many people and hardly anyone knows what it is.

I am so excited to get a group together locally!

Melissa (28)
dh Mohan (29)
Kalindi 7/25/02, 35 weeks(HELLP)
Madelyn 2/5/04, 38 weeks (PIH borderline pre-e)

Melissa (28)
dh Mohan (29)
melissa71502

Re : Introduction

Postby nora » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:57 am

by nora (257 Posts), Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:57 am

Hello

I guess this is my official introduction. We live in the Tampa Bay area. I had pe at 26 weeks with my first pregnancy. My blood pressure started to go up around 22-23 weeks. By 25 1/2 I was spilling protein in my urine and was admitted into the hospital. A week later my son was delivered via emergency c-section. He was 1 lb 13 oz. He spend three months in the INCU. He is a handsome four years old now. My son's prematurity has caused him to have physical limitations but we are working with him daily.

I am hoping to have one more kid to give my son a sibling but like everybody else after pe it is a very hard decision to make.

Here's my email address:

nora59us@yahoo.com

Thank you for starting this chapter. Hopefully we can all meet one day.

Nora

nora

Postby space_coaster » Wed Sep 22, 2004 05:59 pm

by space_coaster (88 Posts), Wed Sep 22, 2004 05:59 pm

Hello fellow Floridians [:D] I live in Melbourne, on the east central coast (the "Space Coast").

I developed PE at around 22 weeks back in August and was hospitalized locally. The doctors and nurses did everything they could for me but at 24 weeks I was doing worse and was transferred to the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Women in Orlando. As soon as I got there I started to "crash" with HELLP syndrome and at 3:07 AM on August 25, my daughter was born by emergency c-section. She did well for the first few days but by the 29th she started developing the usual preemie complications -- NEC, bleeding on the right side of the brain (grade 2), low blood pressure, etc. She died at 5:10 AM on September 1. She was my first child, and I am devastated that I lost my precious baby girl.

As scary as this is, and as likely as this is to happen to me again, I am still hoping to have a successful pregnancy within the next couple of years. I am really grateful to the PF for the support and resources they provide. Thanks, Melissa, for your efforts in coordinating a local Florida chapter. I hope we can all get together sometime soon. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Jocelyn (36)
Mommy to Michelle Elizabeth, 8/25-9/1/04, 24w1d, 1 lb 3 oz, severe PE/HELLP syndrome

Michelle's memorial page: http://www.geocities.com/jfiorello68
space_coaster

Postby allic » Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:56 pm

by allic (232 Posts), Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:56 pm

Hi! Here's my formal introduction: I live in the Tampa Bay area with my husband, Doug, my 3 year old son, Colton (PIH at 33 weeks/ delivered at 34 weeks PE) and my 2 year old daughter Aubrie Jane (PIH at 22/delivered at 30 weeks PE-kidney failure). Colton was 4lbs 4oz and 17.5 inches and Aubrie was 2lbs 5oz and 15.5 inches. He was in a regular nursery for 11 days and Aubrie struggled a little in the NICU for about six weeks. Colton is now a very healthy (big for his age) three year old and doesn't seem to have any lasting effects from his prematurity. Aubrie is still very tiny and has and a heart murmer, but so far it's not affecting her heart in any way. And her peditrician says she's "highly advanced" in her cognative and verbal skills...who would have thought with such a rough start she'd be "advanced." At two, she's still only 21 lbs, but she makes up for it with spunk! My blood pressure took almost two years to go down and stay down consistantly and I held on to the protein for months after my daughter was born. Everything seems fine now, so I'm busy fundraising for the Foundation. Currently, I'm working on a banquet and silent auction in Punta Gorda, FL that the Professional Tarpon Tournament Series in Boca Grande, FL has agreed to support us with. It will be on June 17, 2006 and anyone wishing to attend or help out, please email me. It would be a great way for FL members to meet. (Punta Gorda is on the central west coast). Hope to meet you all!

Alli (31 BTW)
allic

Postby melissa71502 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 09:38 am

by melissa71502 (58 Posts), Thu Sep 30, 2004 09:38 am

So glad all of you have responded. I will send an email to all of you by this weekend. It has been so crazy with these hurricanes, wanted to send it this weekend but was without power...ugh Hope all of you are doing well.

Melissa (28)
dh Mohan (29)
melissa71502

Postby cedeno » Wed Feb 16, 2005 07:57 am

by cedeno (3 Posts), Wed Feb 16, 2005 07:57 am

Hi i recently joined and found this local group. I am from Orlando,Fl and i had my baby boy at 36wk after having HELLP and DIC during my pregnancy back on Aug 04. I am doing better now with only some medical problems left and scars after 4 surgeries. I am glad to share my experience and emotions with a group that can understand the ordeal i went through. Thank you all for the support you create for mom's that have gone through such a horrible ordeal.
cedeno

Postby jimmiefan48 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:40 am

by jimmiefan48 (1 Posts), Sun May 14, 2006 12:40 am

Hey FL moms.

I live NE of Tampa Bay. We have one Daughter Reilly 3ys old now. She was Born 36 weeks and was 5lbs 2oz but 20" long. I had a erm C-sections after being in and out of the houspital for 3 weeks. I came and found this board because we are looking to have another baby but my husband is very scared what could happen again.

Lindsey
jimmiefan48

Postby liza » Sun May 14, 2006 08:03 pm

by liza (48 Posts), Sun May 14, 2006 08:03 pm

Hi Lindsey,
I live in St. Petersburg! We have one daughter Teagan who is almost 2. She was born @ 26 weeks, 1 pound 5 ounces & 15 inches. I also had an emergency c-section for PE. I want to have another baby too eventually, just not yet! We are also pretty nervous about that too! But there are lots of people on this forum who have had subsequent pregnancies, so I am sure they can give you some great advice!!
Liza :)
liza

Postby wheresmyskirt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 06:37 pm

by wheresmyskirt (7 Posts), Thu Jul 27, 2006 06:37 pm

HI everyone! I'm Ingrid and I was born at 36 weeks, I weighed 3lbs 7oz..they thought my mom wouldn't survive, she got PE and had to have an emergency c-section and her placenta came out before me..she went into a coma for 3 days until she finally came back one of the times my dad was trying to get her to name me..the birth certificate people were going crazy because I still wasn't registered as being born..I was just baby girl Menendez..my mom came to and blurted out Ingrid..which ironically means battle..yea, some battle..I battled for another month in the NICU in my incubator and my mommy didn't get to see me until about a week because she had the flu..but they would pump her milk for me and that made me strong..when I find my baby album I'll post my tiny pic..I looked like a little alien with a huge head and skinny little body..but I'm perfectly healthy now, never had any more complications..I have a heart arrythmia (irregular heartbeat, it goes way too fast) but I don't think was caused by the prematurity..My mom is also healthy and she survived (the most important part) especially since back in the 80s the technology and research wasn't like it is today...she does unfortunately still have high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes, but she stays fit..I am currently studying to become a nurse and hopefully will one day work in the NICU and save preemies like me..I also have helped other causes like the March of Dimes..with foundations like this one and research hopefully one day we can make this Disease disappear..and apparently my chances of getting PE when I have children is x10..its a scary thought..but being well-informed and knowing everything my mom went through maybe I can see it way ahead of time..

So happy to be part of this group [:D]
wheresmyskirt

Postby allic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 09:46 pm

by allic (232 Posts), Thu Jul 27, 2006 09:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. Where is Tamarac? Is your mom in Florida as well? We are thinking about getting a few of the Florida survivors together to meet up. We're all glad you're here...especially those who have recently had preemies. It's a scary thing and just knowing that you're perfectly fine as an adult is comforting. Thanks for posting your and your mom's story!
allic

Next

Return to Florida