Preemies weight at two years?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Preemies weight at two years?

Postby patty » Mon Apr 26, 2010 07:36 pm

Randall will be 2 in a couple of weeks and was 22lbs 6oz today at the doctors(we were there for an ear infection). My doctor never worries about his weight either and always says he is following a curve.
patty

Postby pld0804 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 am

I totally agree with what the others are saying. Holly was born at almost 36 weeks, almost not a preemie, with severe IUGR. She is 3 yrs old and 23lbs right now. She is happy and healthy and following her own curve, with the help of a healthy high calorie diet. Her curve is well below the charts, but it's still her curve.

As long as your daughter is following her curve and is healthy and happy, I wouldn't worry about her weight.
pld0804

Postby kelly1972 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 02:43 pm

I'm sorry that your daughter's doctor is on your case about your daughters weight. My dd will be 4 in Sept. and barely weighs 27 lbs if that. Watch her growth curve, my daughter's ped watches hers and that's how he rates her growth on not the numbers. She wasn't even on a regular chart until she was 2 and only 3rd percentile for weight. Hang in there as long as she eats and is healthy and happy that's the most important
kelly1972

Postby mechia_yoyo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:04 pm

I've spent a lot of time worrying about my preemie's weight and eating (or non-eating habits :)) but the pediatrician and I have had some good discussions and both find that he's stayed really well on his own growth curve and is overall healthy (with the exception of that darn reflux). He was 27lbs at a little over 4 years and the smallest/shortest in his class but makes up for it in personality and attitude. We don't worry as much anymore - just seeing him happy and healthy works for us!
mechia_yoyo

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies