Dental issues

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
robertmyangel

Re : Dental issues

Postby robertmyangel » Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:34 pm

I am in the Dental field and I see patients with Periodontal Disease all day long. My parents rarely went to the Dentist, so they never took us. I have had lots of cavities, and teeth extracted because of my poor dental care as a child. I became very interested in the Dental field, so I made it my Career.

Alot of people don't know how important it is to floss, I was one of them. Flossing, along with regular check-ups and cleanings can help prevent Periodontal disease. I floss at least once a day, at night after my last meal. This helps keep the gums stimulated and the bacteria from growing in the gingiva (gum tissue). Also brushing with a soft toothbrush, and brushing along the gumline, very gently helps keep those gums nice and pink, keeping them stimulated and healthy.

If gums are sore and puffy, and it hurts to brush them:

Get a cup of warm water with a tablespoon of salt, and swish it around in your mouth for about one minue 3-4 times. The salt helps heal those sore bleeding gums. You can do this 2-3 times a week.

These are just some tips to help with home care.[:D]

cara

Postby cara » Fri Nov 03, 2006 02:12 pm

I never had a cavity in my life before I got pregnant. I am up to EIGHT now. Very strange..

I go on Monday to get yet another filled and I will ask him what he thinks.

jana m

Postby jana m » Sun Oct 29, 2006 05:58 pm

Scary. I am long overdue for a dental appointment.

alexp

Postby alexp » Sat Oct 28, 2006 05:07 pm

Thank you for posting this! I found out I had periodontitis after my PE experience too...I had never been to a dentist IN MY LIFE. My breath did not stink and my teeth looked white and shiny, and I brushed, and I thought that was enough. I assumed I had no cavities until I had a tooth that abcessed while I was in the hospital. I was surprised and grossed out to learn that I had 10 other cavities, acres of plaque on my teeth and swollen, bleeding infected gums that were close to needing surgery.

I have a fabulous dentist and dental hygenist now who have really educated me about teeth. I have to get cleanings every 3 months, and floss at least once a day, but my mouth is healthy now. It has made such a difference for me - I don't have sensitive teeth any more, for one thing. I have been in overall better health since getting this under control, although of course I couldn't say for sure if that is related to the teeth.

Here's a good link about gum disease in general, although it doesn't mention PE specifically: http://sciencedaily.healthology.com/den ... %20Overall

One thing I wanted to point out - in case anyone else, like me, has felt "guilt" that I had this mouth problem that could have been a factor in my getting PE - gum disease is a risk factor, like high blood pressure or an autoimmune disease or a clotting issue.

A lot of the time we aren't aware of risk factors before we got pregnant - or if we do know they are there, they are unpredictable and hard to control. And like any risk factor, it just means you are at higher risk to get something - not that you will.

I wish more attention were paid to dental issues and overall health. For example, a large reason that I never had dental checkups was because I never (until the last year) had dental insurance, although I've been covered by health ins most of my life. And that stuff is expensive...the insurance is too. I've never seen an MD in my life who encouraged me to get a dental checkup - including my OB/GYN [:0]. I don't think I am alone in these experiences, either.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 03:13 pm

I never had a cavity before I became pregnant. Ater I had my son they found 5 cavities at one routine dental visit.

mla2177

Postby mla2177 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 07:31 pm

I had a root canal a week before I ended up in the hospital for Preeclampsia!!!! I also have the start of periodontal disease!!!!

klynn

Postby klynn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 03:59 pm

It's funny that you posted that question because I was just about to ask the same thing. I developed pe and lost my daughter at 25 weeks. Since then I have been to my dentist who said I have an "extremely active" gum infection. We have started the process of getting rid of the infection with cleanings and antibiotics. I read in the dentists office that it could cause low grade endotexemia. The toxemia part stood out so I got online to investigate. I found this link.[/urhttp://www.drdonnica.com/news/00006238.html]

michellelhuston

Dental issues

Postby michellelhuston » Fri Oct 27, 2006 03:05 pm

Return to “Ask the Experienced”