Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Dr's Appt Not So Well

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Dr's Appt Not So Well

Postby echemondo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 05:37 pm

by echemondo (3 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 05:37 pm

Well my fiancee has been telling me for a while her feet and arms have been hurting and really affecting her. Our first child is due April 15. We figured it was just simply pregnancy pains and I've been doing my best to make sure she stays rested and giving her massages to relieve some pain. Along with that she's had some lower back pains coupled with just general discomfort I've read is natural and expected. However, recently we've both noticed her legs and feet have swelled alot and she's had a headache for 4 days. Again, we thought it was simple procedure that every pregnancy deals with. A friend who she hasn't seen in a while noticed her nose has widened and swelled and last night she was in so much pain in her arms and hands she couldn't even hold the phone very long to talk to anyone. So today we decided to give the doctor a call and she asked her to go in. The doctor has said that preeclampsia is a real possibility and they have taken blood work and we can do nothing but sit and wait for results.

Now I've done some research here and there since we've been home and what I'm reading is really scary. What should I do as a very concerned future husband and dad? I just feel helpless and after reading some information I feel like it may be a real possibility (even if an extremely small one) that I may lose both of them. Is there anything I can do? Anything to make this goes over as smoothly as possible and prevent the worse from happening? I plan on doing MUCH more research but this seems like a very good place to start and I'm gonna come out and say; I'm scared. Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks so much.

- James
echemondo

Re : Dr's Appt Not So Well

Postby rosemary » Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:22 pm

by rosemary (2360 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:22 pm

Hi James, Do you happen to know what her blood pressures are at?
rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:53 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:53 pm

James, welcome to the forums.

Have you gotten the bloodwork back? What are her pressures? Have they checked her urine for protein?

You may have already seen this: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

The only known cure for preeclampsia is delivery. Am I seeing that she's about 32 weeks? I would ask about steroids for the baby's lung development.

Please keep us posted.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Feb 22, 2008 09:09 pm

by fiona (5767 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 09:09 pm

James, welcome.

The questions Caryn has posed are exactly what you should be asking the doctor. Also, over the weekend, if the headache continues, facial swelling worsons, she experiences any upper right quadrant pain - or around her shoulder/bra strap - or decreased movement of the baby, take her straight into L&D.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend she spends as much time as she can lying down on her left side.

Preeclampsia can move fast and you are right to be concerned. Please come back with any more questions or concerns.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby rebeccac » Fri Feb 22, 2008 09:56 pm

by rebeccac (761 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 09:56 pm

Hi. I'm so sorry your fiancee isn't feeling well. I'm glad you are educating yourself about PE.

Please, please, please, if her symptoms continue into the weekend, go to L&D. Take care.
rebeccac

Postby hhbeachgurl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:21 pm

by hhbeachgurl (655 Posts), Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:21 pm

I am so sorry yall are going through this. The best defense is to know te symptoms.... while you are waiting for results if anythin, anything changes, or she feels more unwell, or any more symptoms from the list show up, definitly head to the hospital to get checked out. Please keep us updated
hhbeachgurl

Postby echemondo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 05:06 pm

by echemondo (3 Posts), Sat Feb 23, 2008 05:06 pm

According to the Dr. her blood pressure was normal but we didn't care to ask what exactly the readings were because we had no idea what we were dealing with at the time. Rest assured we will have it checked regularly however and I'll post them to help give you all a better idea of what we're dealing with. Her urine was also tested and she said it was good and no protein. We have not received the results yet from blood work and I don't think we will until after the weekend. The waiting kills me. She is just on bed rest until we know more but she's bored out of her mind. I try renting movies and just spending as much time with her especially since its the weekend. I'm thinking of taking her out to the movies and to eat tonight, places she doesn't have to stand or walk very much if at all. Thank you for the swift responses and I'll for sure be coming back here for information and advice as well as support.
echemondo

Postby rebeccac » Sat Feb 23, 2008 06:54 pm

by rebeccac (761 Posts), Sat Feb 23, 2008 06:54 pm

F.Y.I. in the "pregnant again" forum section, ladies on bedrest can stay in touch with one another and pass the time...
rebeccac

Postby aundapenner » Sun Feb 24, 2008 09:53 am

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Sun Feb 24, 2008 09:53 am

James,

Way to go! What a great husband you'll be!! You're already a great fiance and dad!

Relaxing really is key.

When I first came down sick, I had PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension). And for me, it eventually led to a moderate case of PE. I also had really really bad carpal tunnel in both wrists - and I worked as a product manager sitting at my desk typing most of the day - my arms ached so bad I'd be in tears.

Have you gotten a home BP monitor? I know there's a link somewhere here that talks about the "right" way to take a BP measurement - sitting up, both feet on the ground, left arm (not really sure why, but right arm "skews" the readings). Also, if you ever end up in the hospital, make sure they use the proper sized cuff - I'm not a tiny girl, but I'm not a big girl. I usually (usually - not when I was pregnant) had the "regular" sized cuff. Well, the nurses didn't like the readings so they'd switch to the extra large cuff. That also "skews" the numbers.

If I'd known then what I know now (based solely on this board), I would have insisted that they use the normal cuff and document the accurate BP readings. It was my life and my son's at stake. No messing around next time for me!

I also found that some movies, especially with ANY type of tension, would affect my BP.

http://www.sidelines.org/ provides support for bedrest ... wish I knew of them before too!!!

Hang in there. Make sure you're doing kick counts - there's another link somewhere here for that. ANY decrease in movement warrants a trip into L&D.

You're doing great!
aundapenner

Postby echemondo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 pm

by echemondo (3 Posts), Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 pm

Well we received a call from the Doctor this morning and were told her bloodwork was fine and she was negative for P/E which is a huge relief. However, she does have Carpal Tunnel. We just bought a brace for each wrist since the doctor recommended them and hopefully they will help her relieve some pain tonight. We have our regular 2 week checkup on Monday and I'll be sure to ask for more information about P/E and some precautions that we can take. Is there anything I should ask the doctor on Monday? What questions should I walk in with that I need answered?
echemondo

Next

Return to Dads