Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Something isn't right.....Maybe the Flu?**UPDATE**

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Something isn't right.....Maybe the Flu?**UPDATE**

Postby mommy2maddie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 am

by mommy2maddie (147 Posts), Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 am

My DS started getting sick on thursday, and it every day it just seems to get worse. He has a really bad cough, he had a fever the first day but now it is gone, he will not eat and when he does eat he spits most of it up. He coughs so hard that twice now he has had projectile vomiting because of it. He is hardly wetting his diaper, which concerns me, but I have always heard that you should only take your child to the hospital if he hasn't had a wet diaper in six hours. Does this mean his 'normal' wet diaper, or just a wet diaper in general? Because I have been leaving his diaper on for four hour intervals so that I can see how much is in there, and there is barely enough to get it wet. He still has tears. He also has a runny nose. I took him to the doctor on Friday and he told me he had a gastrointestinal illness, which it clearly isn't and if it is, there is something else going on too. I just feel like my doctor will not listen to me, we are going back today and I am going to demand he do something about, because it cannot go on like this, I'm really worried he is only four months old, if this is the flu, it could get really dangerous. Does it sound like the flu?

**** DS was admitted to the hospital yesterday for bronchlitis and he tested positive for RSV, and he was sevrely dehydrated. He is doing well now, he is not dehydrated anymore due to the IV, but his RSV isnt doing any better with the breathing treatments. Also he cannot keep anything down after he eats because of the phlegm and his coughing really hard. We are staying at the hospital again tonight. Keep him in your prayers, that he recovers quickly and can come home soon.
mommy2maddie

Re : Something isn't right.....Maybe the Flu?**UPDATE**

Postby tree » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 am

by tree (819 Posts), Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 am

That does sound a little flu-like, but it is really good news that his fever went away. My DD had a nasty cold/cough bug that would make her spit up from excess snot, but it was easy to differentiate from the GI bugs because she was still willing to eat. She was not interested in eating when she had a stomach bug. She was a little older when she got her first few bugs, but they did all go away in a few days.
It sounds like another visit to your doctor would be a good idea. Our doctor doesn't like it when we get THAT scared. He thinks it usually means something is wrong. He does recommend very small (and diluted, if on formula) meals while DD is actively sick. He has suggested pedialyte if she couldn't keep formula down, but she was a few months older than your son. I am not sure when they can have that. I hope he is feeling better soon!
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby kellyo19 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:16 pm

by kellyo19 (192 Posts), Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:16 pm

if he's not eating - check his throat - could be strep or viral illness or tonsilitis? My daughter was 7 mos old and got tonsilitis and the only sign was not eating, fever, and dehydration from not eating well. If its throat related see if there's soemthing to soothe the throat prior to eating? is the diaper stained yellow when he goes? if its not pale in color, but more concentrated, that's another sign of dehydration. Check the soft spots above forehead - if its sunken he needs to eat more. Do you have access to pediatrician? urgent care isn't always the best bet. coughing - could be something like bronchitis, rsv, pneumonia.
kellyo19

Postby sonja » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 am

by sonja (5658 Posts), Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 am

I am glad that you went in. I hope that he is better soon and that you are home soon.

Take care.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby milesymommy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 am

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 am

I hope RJ gets better soon! ((HUGS)) I'm glad you're in the hospital and getting the care he needs. IVs in little ones is so hard but it helps so much.
I'll keep you in our prayers.
milesymommy

Postby sarab » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 am

by sarab (2950 Posts), Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 am

Oh no, Alissa! Poor little guy. :(

I am glad that he is getting the care he needs. Hope he makes a quick recovery and you are home soon.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby trish » Tue Feb 16, 2010 01:01 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Tue Feb 16, 2010 01:01 pm

I'm glad he's getting the care he needs even if it has to be in the hospital. Hope he is feeling better very soon. ((((HUGS)))
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Tue Feb 16, 2010 09:59 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Tue Feb 16, 2010 09:59 pm

We will keep you both in our prayers. That is scary. I hope he is back home and feeling better soon.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Feb 17, 2010 05:45 am

by mnmom (1419 Posts), Wed Feb 17, 2010 05:45 am

Poor baby! Prayers for a speedy recovery.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....