Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Constant resptry illnesses - maybe environmental?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Constant resptry illnesses - maybe environmental?

Postby milesymommy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:56 am

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:56 am

My 5 month old DS has always sounded "mucuousy". The doctors have thought on and off that it was reflux, even though he has no other reflux symptoms, and the reflux meds never seem to help. It seems like he's had a cold/cough for the last 2 months. He was tested for RSV (negative). He had a chest xray Friday and his right lung has spots, which could be normal congestion, bronchitis, or maybe pneumonia. He's on his third round of antibiotics in the last month. I don't think more antibiotics is the answer, and we can't stay on antibiotics forever.
My husband found mold in an area by the furnace, and has cleaned it out. We are thinking of hiring duct cleaners to get the entire home. I hope this helps. I really want to figure out why he's sick all the time. Some people point to daycare, but I don't think it's that. He's been home for the last 11 days and is still sick, and it seems to be worse.
Does anyone have any experience with recurring respiratory illnesses and/or mold in the home?
milesymommy

Re : Constant resptry illnesses - maybe environmental?

Postby mnmom » Wed Feb 17, 2010 05:55 am

by mnmom (1419 Posts), Wed Feb 17, 2010 05:55 am

No experience with mold issues, but I know that they can be serious. I would get the area checked out by an expert. Sometimes just cleaning with bleach and such doesn't totally eliminate the problem. That said, I did have one who seemed to have respiratory issues the first nine years of her life. We tested for allergies, went to chiropractors, ENT's. We never really did find a clear answer. She did finally grow out of it, and has probably had a total of two colds in the past 11 years.....
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....